Freebie

Mice!

I was chatting to a fella i coach with a couple of weeks ago, topic got onto shooting and squirrels as i know he works with a charity and i keep gentley tapping him for information. Anyway he ends saying I can have his old air rifle if i want, its just sitting in the garage doing nothing. For some reason I politely declined it, not even knowing what it was!!!

well its been niggling at me wondering what it was i had turned down, he had said " its powerful with a telescopic sight" so i sent a message this week basically asking for the rifle, no shame.

I'm now the owner of a bespoke venom tuned HW80, err no its a bsa meteor with a broken 4x20 Niko sight.

It's a very nice little gun with no open sights unfortunately, I'll be looking on eBay for some, thinking being it can be used for plinking in the garden with the kids and trap dispatch so i don't have to worry about the kids and my Rapid, or nice scope.

Now it has the most awful twang, i know it hasn't done anything for a long time, tried to quickly chrono it this afternoon but it was having none of it, kept getting a bad message, i only fired off three shots then it went away.

Any ideas? It's going to need to be smoother if the kids are going to be having a go.

cheers.

ditchy was doing his mercury up which is far as I can tell is pretty much  standard bsa set up pre 2000. But more to the point he lists what to do. Only thing I'd say is be careful of fitting a titan. Great springs but those older meteors don't much like full power, the linkages ect will nacker in the end. Also if you've a mk4 the piston head go's through the buffer rubber into the piston slidey thingy. Point I'm getting at - its held on by a circlip and it comes off a lot, leaving the piston head at the bottom with the only way of getting it out is by a compressed air up the barrel. You can buy a head with a bolt on so this would never happen. Worth getting if its a mk4. 

1. strip 
  2. clean (full of grease and oil)
  3. polish all internals
  4. new Titan XS spring (as recommended by several folk on the net)
  5. new rubber (rebound thingy)
  6. new o ring
  7. new axis pin
  8. new barrel seal

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would do 1 2 3/ 5 6 7 8 and get a delrin tuning kit, i would leave out 4 and just get a standard meteor spring, as for a scope try hawkes as they are shock proof  

Thanks OPP

23 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Thanks OPP

hello, the BSA meteor comes in MK 1 to 7 depending on age, once you know your model you can check for a service kit, strimmers mention of a Ox spring is right (apologies) as on the uk air gun forum they do not rate the titan, a standard bsa meteor spring should get you just under 10 ft llb, once you know which MK you can then find the right tune kit, with maybe a delrin top hat and spring guide, let us know how you get on. cheers

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

cheers strimmer, less power is better with this i think 8-9 ft/lb would be ideal.

I'll have a look for ditchys thread.

i think you are about right there...and at that ft/lbs...it will be nice and quiet and accurate...........

Don't think you need more for some garden plinking , the bit of shooting we did on holiday was fun, the kids and wife can join in without me worrying about my precious, I'm sure they will be very happy hitting tin cans, i always was ?