Sign in to follow this  
Schmitty

LR Disco Brakes problem

where would you look first?

1993 LR Disco 300Tdi (bit of a farm/shooting vehicle)

Brakes were working fine then pedal went soft. Checked fluid...Reservoir Empty so topped up. Pedal spongy but brakes worked "sort of", better after pumping the pedal a few times (yes it probably needed bleeding). Fluid did not empty out again until today, a couple of months later...no signs of leaks at first viewing but it is covered in farmyard s###.

Would you look at master cylinder, slave cylinder or something else?

P.S.it is the HSE with ABS

Edited by Schmitty

I had an issue similar when I had mine first was caliper slowly leaking causing pedal to go soft so I had to pump it up. The other after was where the pipe went across the chassis in front of the rear axle. Hope this may help 

I will look for the leak but will have to pressure wash the underside first.

A quick question.....could the fluid escape into the servo from the master cylinder thus not showing a leak?

If you didn't guess... I'm not a car mechanic.

It shouldn't because there sealed however the newer landrover discovery has that exact common fault if that was the case you may see fluid in the footwell where it passes through the bulkhead. Landrovers are renowned for their leaks on all shapes and sizes l. 

I’m just surprised it’s still going! My Disco 1 300tdi HSE went west about five years ago. Well, the chassis did, the engine is still going! 😀

Mechanically ace but rot is a who different ball game I spent 3 months welding my mates discovery and no end of hours on my own.

If it's taking 2 months to empty the reservoir I doubt it's a pipe leaking. Possibly the master cylinder but more likely one of the calipers. Check inside the wheels for fluid but you will only see it when the mud is dry.