17 hmr owners

Guest fred101

just wondering does anybody use the 20gr gamepoint and nowt else.what do you think of them for killing.cheers

I use the 20gr xtp's they shoot very tight groups out of my gun even better than the v-max's they dont cause much meat damage either and if a fox crosses your path they do a lot better job of killing it cleanly than the v-max :good:

Guest rabgoat

thanks mark,iv'e killed a couple of rabbits recently and i noticed when they were hit there wasn't a movement out of them they seemed to kill them out rite quicker :good:

I think its likely to be co incidence. The reason they do less meat damage is exactly the reason why they don't necessarily kill rabbits as well. Meat damage shows the bullet has transfered most if not all of its energy to the rabbit. The gamepoints penetrate well but can go straight through far more easily without the same extent of transfer of energy.

Guest rabgoat
I think its likely to be co incidence. The reason they do less meat damage is exactly the reason why they don't necessarily kill rabbits as well. Meat damage shows the bullet has transfered most if not all of its energy to the rabbit. The gamepoints penetrate well but can go straight through far more easily without the same extent of transfer of energy.

i don.t know from what iv'e seen yes the gamepoint went straight through the two rabbits at 70yds,but on checking the rabbits there was a lot of internal damage the front leg on one was completly shattered,i done a couple of tests with beer cans full of water,with the ballistic tips the can was torn apart but stayed in one piece,and with the gamepoint the top half of the can was blew rite off and the rest ripped apart,so there must have been a lot of energy stayed in the can to rip the top off, :good:

Personally, and it's just an opinion, the 20gn hollow point ammo is missing the point of the little HMR pill.

The whole point, to me, is about the round being frangible and therefore avoiding our Irish friend rick-o-shea ;)

The 20gn's have their purpose, perhaps for fox, perhaps for rabbit too where there are better backstops or whatever.

For me there isn't much meat damage if you hit them in the head :no:

just wondering does anybody use the 20gr gamepoint and nowt else.what do you think of them for killing.cheers

I use the 20gr xtp's they shoot very tight groups out of my gun even better than the v-max's they dont cause much meat damage either and if a fox crosses your path they do a lot better job of killing it cleanly than the v-max :D

what make of 17hmr do you have? i have the sako quad now and the cz american before that and neither grouped very well with the 20g i find the 17g better for grouping :good::good:

Personally, and it's just an opinion, the 20gn hollow point ammo is missing the point of the little HMR pill.

The whole point, to me, is about the round being frangible and therefore avoiding our Irish friend rick-o-shea :good:

The 20gn's have their purpose, perhaps for fox, perhaps for rabbit too where there are better backstops or whatever.

For me there isn't much meat damage if you hit them in the head :good:

cant and wont argue with anyof this, but will add the hmr was not designed to fire 20 grn bullets.

Isn't it nice to be able to slot rabbits, with almost monotonous precision, whilst using a round for which my rifle wasn't designed? The 20 grain round was designed to minimise meat damage, while improving penetration, and the 20 grain Gamepoint won an award soon after it was introduced. So much for a renegade cartridge.

I would advise using 20 grain rounds when shooting foxes, simply because of the better penetration.