West Midland Inter County Championships

Guest AA MAN

Hi AA Man,

Westfield's now acquiring a reputation for really savage targets, way too difficult for the average shooter, it's a shame because I've heard its's a nice ground.

Let's hope it doesn't deter the average County shooter..??

Cat

i wouldnt say that at all, the days i have been and the scores were low everything has been hitable its usually the close **** ive missed, i honestly prefer shooting decent hard birds rather than this tosh like at doveridge etc where even the longer stuff requires no lead.

its not difficult for the average shooter, its just that the harder / more technical stuff shows up faults easier.

people should be less woried about there averages !! i couldnt care if i shot 70 or 99 its how i well i did that counts. id rather win a shoot with 85 ex 100 than shoot 95+ and come nowhere. wheres the fun in that? sporting is supposed to be a challenge like shooting real birds / quarry. if you want to shoot big scores then head for skeet or dtl where concentration is the game.

i will probably go as i think im in the team this year

I've shot Westfield twice and I would say both times it was tricky, I could hit everything but I just couldn't straight a stand, I didn't do too badly saying that though. Steve does have a reputation for setting some tricky targets at Westfields. You certainly have to work hard to build a score. I've heard a few people moan about Westfields but I've heard the same people moan about Wylye and Chatcombe, they'll never be happy. :good:

For me it's not about being worried about my averages, if the shoot is very hard and I've shot a low 50's for example and then I go back the next time and do something similar then I won't go back for a while. This is my hobby and I don't want to feel demoralized by a low score time after time at the same ground. I'll give it a rest for a few months and then maybe go back. It's expensive £35 plus petrol to feel awful after the shoot - no thanks. It's not as if you can practice those targets either with it being a registered shoot and you can't take guidance from other shooters. I would still hand my card in though. I've had a few howlers lately at Upavon for a different reason altogether, half the shoot was the same as the last 2 and I got bored. That will keep more people away that the shoot being difficult.

Did Gloucestershire win the Inter-County last year?

Guest AA MAN
I've shot Westfield twice and I would say both times it was tricky, I could hit everything but I just couldn't straight a stand, I didn't do too badly saying that though. Steve does have a reputation for setting some tricky targets at Westfields. You certainly have to work hard to build a score. I've heard a few people moan about Westfields but I've heard the same people moan about Wylye and Chatcombe, they'll never be happy. :good:

For me it's not about being worried about my averages, if the shoot is very hard and I've shot a low 50's for example and then I go back the next time and do something similar then I won't go back for a while. This is my hobby and I don't want to feel demoralized by a low score time after time at the same ground. I'll give it a rest for a few months and then maybe go back. It's expensive £35 plus petrol to feel awful after the shoot - no thanks. It's not as if you can practice those targets either with it being a registered shoot and you can't take guidance from other shooters. I would still hand my card in though. I've had a few howlers lately at Upavon for a different reason altogether, half the shoot was the same as the last 2 and I got bored. That will keep more people away that the shoot being difficult.

Did Gloucestershire win the Inter-County last year?

Yes and the year prior!

• 4 weeks later...
So...................are Gloucestershire the Champions once more? :)

Yes :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It was one of those shoots that didnt look anything special but shot very very hard. There were many top county shooters in the mid to low seventys.

Results of 10 man teams x 100 birds

Gloucester 827

Staffs 802

Derby 749

Cheshire 748

H&W 705

Warks 679

Shrops 634

High Gun 93 Steve burnham & J Allaway

One other 90 by Phil Smith

About 10 other scores over 85

Highest scorer from each county went into a 25 bird shoot off

Phil Smith

Steve Burnham

Carl Bloxham

J Allaway

T Thompson

+ Someone else

In short Carl was straight and easily winning untill the last stand a 25 yard battue left to right and the wheels fell off, he missed a hat full and Smithy won it!

I managed an 86 i missed 4 birds on my last stand a 15 yard rabbit - I wasnt nervous and i dont struggle with these at all, my brain must have thought it was at a rave in Rio to miss these :P

Ps im now AAA man as i couldnt log in for some reason!

well i had a shocking 77 and we still won :lol:

blanked 2 stands and they werent even past 20 yards :)

left the saftey catch on twice aswell, due to being soooo bored.

nothing much wanted lead, overleading stuff to start with so shot with a dead gun for the last 50 or so and then only dropped a few.

another poor to average shoot with loads of queing. all the 4 pair stands had long on-report incomers or similar so took an age to shoot. compare it to watching paint dry!

i dunno about mike evans, i never saw him there ..

i literally finished, handed my card in then ******** off for a nice hot shower :)

didnt bother to look at the scores.

from what i heard they didnt even change the stands used for the masters shootoff, bit sad really should be fresh stands for a shootoff.