is there a good thermal scope for shooting rabbits

hi all been back to shooting rabbits rather than watch telly   so got a thermal spotter   park up and stay still  spot with thermal and shoot on a atn   night scope but the ir eats batterys    so thought maybe a thermal scope  does 2 jobs in one once you are set up    my market wants good head shot rabbits even for dog food   with  the atn i have a lovely dot and i say to people having a shot dot the eye   meaning just that    but  the themal   scopesi have seen   does  not  seem to give a good pinpoint   hold on dot to cover a rabbits eye at about 60 yards    so anybodys using a thermal with good pinpoint   reticule   if so name and make please    thanks   george

Nothing wrong with thermal stuff, as spotters or scopes, the ATN looks good on paper, but were talking £3k +

The new Pard (thermal) one, again looks good, but a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

The Mk 1 and 2 Xsight NV from ATN are really showing their age now, and the new 4 K will probably be 6 months to a year before its issues are patched.
But if battery life is your only issue, there are ways round it, 4 x KENTLI AA s dramatically extends x sight use time, 6 hrs use is not unheard of, also a USB power bar left plugged into the media port, can give a whole load of extra time depending on what capacity.
Ive moved on from the x sight to the PARD NV now, as I can use it on different guns, it cheap ,and extremely light, about 20 x lighter than an x sight !!

When you consider that you could buy a very nice day scope, a Pard 007, a Pard 008, and probably a new gun as well , for the price of a thermal scope, makes you think.

Why bother for rabbits when the range is not so great and thermal is expensive for not so much. Replace the IR with Ian Sirrels new laser its the best and will last hours. Get a Pard or better still get a Ward or if you have the cash get a Drone. 

You would have to shoot a lot of rabbits for the price of a thermal and the smaller thermal just does not have the definition. 

thanks rewulf all i was thinking was once i cud try something i could flog my  xp 38 spotter and just shoot on thermal  scope but i am happy with the night scope as night vision goes   the thermals i have seen do not   have a good hold on place and completly blocks out a rabbits head let alone to see the eye      my atn is the 4k 5x20   but as said before the ir eats batterys    for me to sit out for 4 to 5 hour and shoot a hundred rabbits is not unusual   if you get up this way and fancy a shot let me know   cheers   george

4 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

thanks rewulf all i was thinking was once i cud try something i could flog my  xp 38 spotter and just shoot on thermal  scope but i am happy with the night scope as night vision goes   the thermals i have seen do not   have a good hold on place and completly blocks out a rabbits head let alone to see the eye      my atn is the 4k 5x20   but as said before the ir eats batterys    for me to sit out for 4 to 5 hour and shoot a hundred rabbits is not unusual   if you get up this way and fancy a shot let me know   cheers   george

Thank you , thats a lovely offer.
Does a 4 k have an bespoke internal battery ?
Can it not have a USB power bar as a back up ?
Theyre only as big as phone, I used to strap mine to the stock and it was barely noticeable, getting the Kentlis meant I didnt bother after that.
If its just the torch thats gobbling up the juice , perhaps a Solaris laser with the rats tail remote switch ?
Then youve got an awesome illuminator too.

yes the battery is fantastic lasting about 40 hour at least mine does with usb port   its the ir that eats the batterys but i get positioned like tonight been out see where all the rabbits run in this time old railway line park up looking down the line at a slight angle  and switch off not long  before they come back out and just start knocking them off like a  game of skittles   shot 19 tonight without moving the car that way you are doing  pretty intense clearance in a 60 yard range   cheeky ******* were coming out behind me but could not get the shot at them   that thermal  xp 38 is some tool   what we wood have given  for that 40 years ago   i need a stripped down diesel landrover for all round shooting   window  flat door tops of   any way any info on a thermal with good reticule   the atn works great  all u have to do is  dot  the eye       speak soon

12 hours ago, propercartridges said:

yes the battery is fantastic lasting about 40 hour at least mine does with usb port   its the ir that eats the batterys but i get positioned like tonight been out see where all the rabbits run in this time old railway line park up looking down the line at a slight angle  and switch off not long  before they come back out and just start knocking them off like a  game of skittles   shot 19 tonight without moving the car that way you are doing  pretty intense clearance in a 60 yard range   cheeky ******* were coming out behind me but could not get the shot at them   that thermal  xp 38 is some tool   what we wood have given  for that 40 years ago   i need a stripped down diesel landrover for all round shooting   window  flat door tops of   any way any info on a thermal with good reticule   the atn works great  all u have to do is  dot  the eye       speak soon

Its a wonder theres any rabbits left at that rate :lol:

As Rewulf said, George- if your issue is the IR illuminator eating the battery, why not add a separate IR torch or a laser illuminator to your set up? I wish there were any rabbits left around here so I had a similar problem- VHD has decimated them and there’s no chance of the buzzards allowing the few stragglers left to reproduce in any meaningful way.

Yes, I use an additional torch and it is a very simple job to change a battery if needed.  The BOBLOV has a rail underneath for this purpose.  I could put a more powerfull IR torch on but the HAWKE does what I need. Does your present set up have a rail to attach another lamp. If so I would go that route and you will keep your dot.

Edited by Walker570