High clays

throdgrain

I recently visited Caterham Clays, and there was a lot of high clays there I rather struggled with. They appeared over the tree line, remained "under power" as it were for a few seconds, then began to dip. Because of this the track / push ahead method didnt seem possible (or am I wrong?) as they wernt there long enough.

Any tips guys? I was suprised how badly I did , as I do quite well on fast close ones these days.

Like a teal or driven? Or do you mean a crossing target only in view for a few seconds over some trees? Or something else?

Might just be me but I can't visualise what you mean..

No not teal, more like a crow, but they do them so you dont get to see them for very long. Al4x cheers for that advice mate.

I used to shoot Caterham quite regularly (and I could hit things back then unlike yesterday :good: )

If the clays you describe are the ones I remember you have to 'spot shoot' them - many people will disagree but if you do as Alex says, get well under them, they seem to fall into the shot.

They used to (long time ago remember) do this on the last stand on the right hand end of the valley.

Last time I was there I straighted that stand and a far better shot than me said 'how the hell did you hit those' so I would guess people think about them too much and treat them like a normal driven bird and swing through?

That would be my advice, but see what the decent shots say, you are far better off listening to them than me, I think Tosspot shoots there so he should be able to help.

They used to put up a proper teal ther on the opposite side of the valley, god knows how far away they were but the satisfaction of busting those is something you don't forget in a hurry.

Same thing with them just stick the barrels underneath them.

It's impossible to diagnose your problem from the description given, most likely you were in front of the bird or over the top.

Don't forget most top shots use the "maintained lead" method, which means that you don't come from behind the clay and swing through it, but you constantly maintain a lead between barrels and clay, and the bird never overtakes the barrels.

It goes without saying that you can't apply this technique on every target.

Make sure you are keeping your head hard down on the stock as you are tracking the target, it's very easy to lift your head to get a better view of the target and then miss it over the top.

Also try and get somebody who knows what they're doing to stand behind you and spot where you are missing.

Cat.

See what throdgrain says, but they used to stick a pair of loopers on the horizon, that just popped up over the trees and then dropped out of sight again.

They caused much hilarity when people aimed at the front one and hit the back one, confirming they needed to double their lead :rolleyes::lol:

See what throdgrain says, but they used to stick a pair of loopers on the horizon, that just popped up over the trees and then dropped out of sight again.

They caused much hilarity when people aimed at the front one and hit the back one, confirming they needed to double their lead :rolleyes::lol:

Yes that describes it pefectly! You cant use maintained lead, they're not in sight long enough, and anyway they start dropping after a couple of seconds. You certainly cant push ahead (because they're dropping) so I was trying just shooting where I thought they would be, not really any swing.

If they are a ways out (30+) yards, you need to note where they come over the trees, get in front and follow the arc, below and in front. Helps if you cant the gun to help you follow the line.

With loopers I see people following the horizontal line but forgetting to follow the clay in it's vertical component too. I'm no expert but I don't miss many loopers.

If they are close in and fast, well, you just need to trust your eye and shoot it :rolleyes:

Please excuse the fact that I can draw bad stickmen, perhaps this laughable illustration might help :-

looper.jpg

The line you track is the black line, you pick it up as early as you can, following the curve it makes with your gun. Helps to "cant" the gun over to help you slightly dip your shoulder to track the line easier. Depends on the speed and the distance, for a 40yd looper my illustration is probably about right.

Closer it is, less in front and below you need to be.

In the morning, well now actually, I regret "drawing" that :rolleyes:

The point it valid though, tilt the gun to the side the target is showing to help with following the parabola the clay follows. How much in front and underneath depends on where you shoot it.

Some, I can't unless they are closer, take them early. The closer they are the more you use the force. If they are close like the looper on stand 14 @ braintree, you use the force, there isn't time to track it :lol: