1st fox to the new HMR

pin

Got a call from SS, he's really concerned about foxes eating his pheasants and ducks over his syndicate, would I like to come out and help him? Jumped at the chance, got the HMR ready and threw everything in the truck.

Got over to him and loaded up, about 8.30pm. Had a drive over to the shoot and had a scoot about, few rabbits about but a little early to see raynard. We parked up behind some cover about 70yds up from a place they have been seen to use as a cut through.

Sat for a good hour, calling with the foxshot call, manual and on the old polystyrene - the latter later proved to work well as they'd not heard that before.

Light was fading about 9.30, getting hard to see and what little light there was left was reflecting off the bonnet of the truck, silly ******** left the sunshade off :good: Anyhoo, was starting to look like a no-show from charlie and SS was lining up a rabbit out the back @ about 60yds with the .22lr. Just as he must have been about to take the shot out pops charles next to a hay bail. I am struggling to see him perfectly and want to make sure of a perfect headshot. SS has no idea he's popped out and takes the shot on the bunny :good: Charles legs it into the barley. DOH!

We sit for a little while and wonder if it's worth moving and having a shine with the lamp when out he pops again about 20 yds closer, I have the HMR out on the wing mirror anyway ready so I need no invitation, SS is lined up through the scope with the .22 but I have pulled the trigger anyway, not wanting to loose charles again. Pop, down she goes with not so much as a twitch.

No exit wound but a wobbly head, one very instantly dead fox and the first one to the new HMR, well chuffed.

We had a turn around with the lamp down a few of the rides outside the woods, wasn't looking promising then up shone some eyes about 150yds down a ride. On the callers again and in he's coming, this is SS's. I am calling away and he's coming in great. SS was lining him up and just about to pull the trigger and he's spooked off into the crop never to be seen again! :good:

Round we go, on the way out pretty much as its getting on and we are both wiped out. We catch a glimpse of eyes out in another field, not on our land though. Calling away again we get him steaming into the lamp and the callers. So far in fact that we can't stop him and he susses us, no safe shot so unfortunately that one gets away too.

Pic of the one I took with the HMR, sorry about the pic it's off a camera phone.

vixcub-scaled.jpg

Nice one, I can remember each 1st fox I've gotten with rifles and shottie (mind you that's only since last year so not that many!). When are you putting in for your .223? :good::good:

Waiting to see what happens with regards the laws on smaller deer species here later in the year before I make a choice, at the moment I'd go right for the .243 and use that, but will wait and see.

Spending all my lunchtime and any other free time on the old DSC1, quite a lot too it :good:

Jerry: yeah, loving the setup, can't fault it at the moment mate!

I've tried the 20grn gamepoints and the CCI HP's and it spewed them out horribly.

As I am out and about I keep checking places for different types/brands as I am fairly limited locally. Will try some more but I think the 20grn HP's are missing the point for the HMR anyway. It was designed to throw the 17grn poly's and my results so far seem to agree.

That said I remember a few posts on here, I think it was tallyuk who uses the 20grns to devastating effect... Different rifle completely though!

I've tried the 20grn gamepoints and the CCI HP's and it spewed them out horribly.

As I am out and about I keep checking places for different types/brands as I am fairly limited locally. Will try some more but I think the 20grn HP's are missing the point for the HMR anyway. It was designed to throw the 17grn poly's and my results so far seem to agree.

That said I remember a few posts on here, I think it was tallyuk who uses the 20grns to devastating effect... Different rifle completely though!

Useful to know, to date my local shop has not had any to tempt me as yet. I may try a brick just to see. If my rifle agrees with yours I will let you know!

Jerry

Fair play Pin...

I know how SS feels I have released 15 cocks on Saturday just in the cover behind there pen to easy congestion! Get a call this morning from a young lad that feeds the birds and checks things in the morning to tell me he seen a large cub walking off with 2 cocks at 10am this morning!! :rolleyes:

War has just been declared..charlie better watch out.. :good:

Snares and fox traps going out this evening

I'll give it a run with the .223 for the next few nights!!

Have my Terrier & lurcher man paying a visit for the weekend, so we cold be digging !

20 grain hollow points work well on a charlie, but watch out for 'rick oshea' as he makes quite regular apperances with the hollw point rounds. :good:

I had two 2 "rick oshea's" with federal v-shoks 17grs at the weekend couldnt belive it i thought they exploded on impact the whole time but the bullets went straight through the rabbits and richochet off the ground behind them :rolleyes: just goes to show you have to have your wits about you even with the little hmr.