winter osr

turner

Yes, Turner and I intend to shoot this Sat and Sunday over a field which is well into growth.

The pigeons are still hitting it hard as they have polished off the spilled seed from the drillings nearby and there are one or two bare patches on the rape from previous damage.

The next field to the rape is pasture and the clover is starting to come through so I thought i would set up between the two.

I dont expect to shoot as many birds as earlier in the year but what the Heck the weather forecast is pretty good and I am not a Rugby Fan ( Big Girls touching each other) so a shooting I will go. :D

FM.

I am still having some good days on winter rape using the area's that have been hit hardest over the winter and do not have the height of the rest of the crop,still some weeks left on them,

cheers keith

Shot a very big OSR field yesterday Apr.7 in South Shropshire that I’d never shot before. The crop is mostly 18” tall, but there are some big patches that the birds have been grazing down, and also some places where germination was poor. I estimate that some 250 - 300 pigeon were on it the day before, in several different bunches.

The field is a bit difficult to shoot where I’d like to (from a safety and disturbance point of view) so I “bagged off” two big chunks and set up in a very thin hedge, not an ideal place but the best I could work out at the time. The shell deeks I put in a chewed up bit, standard pattern, with a killing zone at 30-35 yards; further than I wanted, but the best I could do. I didn’t have any dead birds for the magnet or floater.

I started to shoot at 9.00, looking to get a couple quickly for the magnet; my first shot was an absolute dolly…missed clean! Second was a clean kill which fell in the tall stuff which I couldn’t find, not having my dog with me. That was the pattern for the day; quite difficult shooting and a fair number dropped where I couldn’t find them. Finished at 2.45; the third storm front of the day had got me really cold and wet. The dead bird deeks were saturated and the birds weren’t decoying any more.

Shots 47, picked 21, probably lost 10.

So…yes you can still get some birds on OSR at this time of year.

Eug

Hello Turner.

I shot on OSR last Sunday although they have chucked fert on it, a large number of Pigeons are still hitting it. At 1300 hrs i started to shoot there they were going in on the other end of the field most of the afternoon in quite large numbers up near the road ( A34 )were i cant shoot, but the crop was quite high there to. Unfortunatelly my shots were not disturbing them at the other end of the field and the birds coming in to my side of the field were still seeing them and turning off to go to them feeding there. I still shot 35 birds though. I left at 1600 hrs and the birds were still coming to feed there and i could not pull em to my deeks. I am trying to line up some clover as we speek for this weekend because ive seen a good few on it today. Happy hunting.