Captain Tom

bigbird

8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

He has done his bit and his small venture has got whipped up by a gleeful media. The result of the whipping up has been the outpouring of solidarity and inpouring of cash. But there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people (hopefully) doing just as difficult things (for them), with the same motivations who none of us will ever hear about, because they didn't get the media attention. Should they be knighted too? Moreover, there are people who've dedicated their lives to serving communities, often at serious financial, emotional and physical cost who might get an MBE - as in the case of Kolbassia Haoussou and Victoria Rodney (worth having a google, if you want). Is Captain Tom Moore's single act (unconnected to his war record - I'm getting there!) really worth three levels more on the scale of honours? I don't think so.

I know what you mean, many people give their whole lives to charities or simply help others.

Tom went for a walk in his garden.

But for me he is symbolic, a figurehead for the feeling behind the NHS and how important it is,  he may not get knighted but I can't imagine anyone not being happy if he did.

I also thought creating a medal in his name for the NHS staff who have worked through the CV19 pandemic could be nice, but there would be thousands of them needed which might take the shine off of them some?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I know what you mean, many people give their whole lives to charities or simply help others.

Tom went for a walk in his garden.

But for me he is symbolic, a figurehead for the feeling behind the NHS and how important it is,  he may not get knighted but I can't imagine anyone not being happy if he did.

I also thought creating a medal in his name for the NHS staff who have worked through the CV19 pandemic could be nice, but there would be thousands of them needed which might take the shine off of them some?

That's another nice thought. It's a tricky one, to be sure. Perhaps the biggest legacy and recognition would be to find a way to make the NHS workers feel valued by the government all the time, not just when a pandemic threatens to break the country and the NHS stands in its way.

18 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

That's another nice thought. It's a tricky one, to be sure. Perhaps the biggest legacy and recognition would be to find a way to make the NHS workers feel valued by the government all the time, not just when a pandemic threatens to break the country and the NHS stands in its way.

I was thinking like a service medal?

As for the NHS feeling valued,  I'm sure they do, debts have been wiped out, it would be nice to see them removed from the political arena if that's possible? They definitely get used as a football at election time,  but again I've no idea how that could be done.