Tikka T3

njc110381

Right guys, I'm now set on the T3 as the rifle I'm getting. It's had no bad reports so far, and everyone on here seems happy with theirs. Now I've hit the next choice, stock material. As I've said before I like wood and blue for looks, but for practical purposes Synthetic and stainless is the way forward. I can see the gun getting totally soaked quite regularly and also scratched so that almost answers my question for me! However, I plan to add a T8 mod to it. Would the light weight synthetic stock make the gun feel more muzzle heavy with this fitted than if it was on a wood stocked gun? Can you see this making the gun uncomfortable? I've heard the Tikka synthetic stock is very good so I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going for, even though I prefer the look of a traditional gun! What do you think?

I have the T3 Lite synthetic with blued barrel. The reason for the blued barrel is that the gun is almost £70 cheaper that a stainless version. Also, I have a T8 mod on it and that covers most of the barrel anyway. The only downside to the T8 is it does make the gun heavy, and when carrying it on a sling/shoulder, it tends to slip backwards off the shoulder. I might sell the T8 and get a smaller version. The stock is great though and the gun is excellent throughout. Mine is .243 calibre

I have the T3 Lite synthetic with blued barrel. The reason for the blued barrel is that the gun is almost £70 cheaper that a stainless version. Also, I have a T8 mod on it and that covers most of the barrel anyway. The only downside to the T8 is it does make the gun heavy, and when carrying it on a sling/shoulder, it tends to slip backwards off the shoulder. I might sell the T8 and get a smaller version. The stock is great though and the gun is excellent throughout. Mine is .243 calibre

Do you ever shoot it off a Bipod? If so, does it still group ok? I'll probably get the stainless version, but as you say it does cost a little more. It may not be worth it, I'll have to give it some thought.

I have a 695 not a T3, but I have a Tikka ABS stock & a Laminate stock for it.

If weight is main concern get the plastic stock, they are actually slightly better than the old ones even though they sound terrible when you tap then.

I think they now have strands of glass in the mix to stiffen them up a bit.

I 'bedded' mine, and poured plastic metal into the forened of my ABS stock to stiffen it as it was horible of a bipod.

BUT I am not concerned about it getting damaged/wet etc...

If you aren't concerned about weight, and as you are looking at stainless anyway, I would spend the extra and get the laminate stock B)

In the next few months I will be selling my T3 .243 stainless synthetic lite, it now shoots very well having killed fox out to 285 yards it has shot appox 160 rounds and by the time I sell it it will have done a max of 200 rounds. Threaded and will come with T8, you can try before you buy.

Sorry not really right place to post but couldn't resist.

In the next few months I will be selling my T3 .243 stainless synthetic lite, it now shoots very well having killed fox out to 285 yards it has shot appox 160 rounds and by the time I sell it it will have done a max of 200 rounds. Threaded and will come with T8, you can try before you buy.

Sorry not really right place to post but couldn't resist.

Had to be worth a try, and if it was a 6.5mm I may have been interested! :)

How wet can a standard wood stock get before it is damaged? I'm starting to go off the idea of the synthetic one! I don't like the look of it much and all this talk of flexing is making me think that good old fashioned wood is the best option.

• 2 months later...

I am also considering the same points as you on what stock material to get. I'm a lover of good old wood and I suspect that I'll end up with this material eventually and just make sure I look after it. I've used a walnut stocked .22 for years and taken it out in all sorts of weather and muck and have never had any trouble with the wood or accuracy. All it needs is proper drying (at room temp, not next to a rad or aga!), cleaning and occasional light oiling of the stock.

With regard to the barell, I've been a bit scared off the stainless versions following the explosions and subsequent recalling of about 3,000 T3 models. Prob a bit silly but I'd rather not chance it!

Any opinons on this query? - best calibre for an all round rifle to shoot Roe, Reds and Fox. I was thinking about 7mm but having read a few other posts am thinking 6.5 or .270 would be better? Most of my shooting will be Roe but i would like a rifle that will take down Reds too.

Any ideas gratefully received! Cheers

Right guys, I'm now set on the T3 as the rifle I'm getting. It's had no bad reports so far, and everyone on here seems happy with theirs. Now I've hit the next choice, stock material. As I've said before I like wood and blue for looks, but for practical purposes Synthetic and stainless is the way forward. I can see the gun getting totally soaked quite regularly and also scratched so that almost answers my question for me! However, I plan to add a T8 mod to it. Would the light weight synthetic stock make the gun feel more muzzle heavy with this fitted than if it was on a wood stocked gun? Can you see this making the gun uncomfortable? I've heard the Tikka synthetic stock is very good so I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going for, even though I prefer the look of a traditional gun! What do you think?

Personally I would go for this?

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Hunter_Stainless.pdf

I would go for a PES mod though, my mates got one on his T3 stainless and its the nuts!