plastic wad slitting

hi, would it be of any benefit adding more slits to plastic wads Ie  having 6 or 8 slits as apposed to the standard 4, would it pattern better?? and is it advisable to separate the petals before loading as I have on occasions seen wads on shooting grounds unopened..

:)

58 minutes ago, ag12g said:

hi, would it be of any benefit adding more slits to plastic wads Ie  having 6 or 8 slits as apposed to the standard 4, would it pattern better?? and is it advisable to separate the petals before loading as I have on occasions seen wads on shooting grounds unopened..

I would think if it were advantageous, the manufacturers would have cottoned on long ago?

1 hour ago, ag12g said:

how many slits do you put in lancer 425, and have you experimented with different amounts??

four,! i tried three but i felt four was Better as in consistent and uniform in pattern. Three could tighten a pattern in a very open bored gun and may have its uses in some specific loads guns and situations.  More slits i never dabbled with that.

1 hour ago, holloway said:

i may be wrong but i always thought that the more slits the more open the pattern ,i have heard of people reducing the slits to 2 to tighten the pattern .

I think the trade settled on 4 as a good medium .

I think you are right, and why i never dabbled with more slits myself. I am in the market to tighten patterns not open them up.

• 2 weeks later...

RC cartridges used to employ a lady whose specific job was to slit cartridges . If you are homeloading and using plastic wads that are partially split , then it is a good bet they were designed to function correctly with all petals free to air .

Unless of course you are using steel shot , where your time would be better spent making nails and screws and building a shed.