pigeons

monkeyboots

i was out last nite in the pub when i got talking to a lad who does a bit of shooting , we talked about various forms of shooting when pigeons was mentioned he said he only shoots woodies if there eating standing crops but once the crop is cut he dosent decoy them as he said he dosent like eating woodies or does anyone he knows so he said its a waste for him to shoot woodies as they would only be binned, i dont realy like eating woodies either just the odd 1 now and again but although ive never shot big bags of woodies havent been lucky enough yet but any i do the dogs and ferrets get them , i can sort of see this lads point but then he has no problem shooting big bags of crows and they are binned anyone any views on it

99% of the woodies I shoot go straight to the game dealers. I wouldn't shoot them if I couldn't find an outlet for them.

I only eat a few a year but shoot around 1000. What I don't eat gets exported to the rest of Europe' so I am told.

I know our main aim is crop protection but lets make sure if we shoot something that is ebible it is eaten ???

cloudwalker, do you have a Meat Hygiene Certificate?

No i don't. I was worried about this when it first came about but my game dealer doesn't have a problem with it.

My mate and I also take in around 500 rabbits per year, again with no problem. :oops:

What are you getting for a pigeon and rabbit at the moment ?

I thought it was illegal to sell pigeons and rabbits etc. to a game dealer, who presumably will enter them for public consumption, without the certificate. I know of others who sell without certification, ostensibly to my local game dealer, who insists that I must have passed the course before he will accept anything. Perhaps they are accepting them on someone else's behalf, who has the necessary certification? The story I was told was that our local dealer just asked if the pigeons were shot that day, and took them without any questions asked. What do you think BASC???

I thought it was illegal to sell pigeons and rabbits etc. to a game dealer, who presumably will enter them for public consumption, without the certificate. I know of others who sell without certification, ostensibly to my local game dealer, who insists that I must have passed the course before he will accept anything. Perhaps they are accepting them on someone else's behalf, who has the necessary certification? The story I was told was that our local dealer just asked if the pigeons were shot that day, and took them without any questions asked. What do you think BASC???

When this legislation was first talked about I raised this with my Game dealer. He said that if you actually read all the small print of the law, you need to be taking in several thousand birds etc per year. As it is his lively hood, I assume he know what he is taking about. :oops:

As for your question rupertx, we are getting 10p per pigeon at the moment. We haven't started ferreting yet so I'm not sure what rabbits are going for.

None of the game dealers I use have ever asked/insisted on me having a certificate of competence. It's just another bit of nonsense thought up by the bureaucrats with nowt else to do but **** up other peoples lives! This governments wage bill is the highest it's ever been (supported by our taxes) but even getting rid of the thought police wouldn't help as they'd all be unemployable in the real world so they'd have to be state supported!

According to the BASC leaflet I have, under EU Food Hygiene Regulations (as from Jan 1st 2006) if I sell any amount of my game to an approved Game Handling establishment I need to do the training. "Game" includes all game birds, all deer, duck, geese, pigeon, rook, rabbit, hare and squirrel!!