Disc defragging.My XP defrag never has worked.

vole

My defragmenter freezes at 1%.I dont want to mess with stuff out of my depth apart from defragging on safe mode which is a pain.I have seen free downloads but am unsure about them.Any suggestions please?I keep my pc pretty well maintained and dont really know why I have this problem in the 1st place.Thanks.

Start->Run type msconfig and press enter

In the window that pops up select "diagnostic startup", click apply and follow the prompts. It will want to restart, let it and when it does run your defrag from there, when done just go back into msconfig and select "normal startup".

Windows defrag is half a job, it doesn't do half the things it should. Not free but have a look at http://www.disktrix.com/UDIntroduction.htm

After I ruined my RAID hard drives from Defraging, I now simply dont bother. Does not seem to slow the PC, or make it more unreliable... I have heard of people having to re-instal windows many times after defrag. But it completley killed my disc drives, they were too faulty after the re-instal, and had to be replaced :blink:

I keep the trash bin clean, and the cache gets a clear up every month or two.. other then that nothing else gets done. Oh.. of course a backup of my photos now and then..

Windows is inefficient in allocating and re-allocating disk blocks for use. Inherently by design the system it uses will require re-optimisation by de fragmentation.

Windows uses your disk as virtual memory, windows in fact prefers to use virtual memory when it doesn't need to and uses extra ram as system cache which isn't ideal. Once a disk is badly fragmented the drive has to do many more seeks and reads to get information, as well as write in a non contiguous fashion which means more seeks and many more smaller writes. This makes your PC slow, FACT.

De fragmenting in itself is not a risky procedure, hidden from you is the fact that the PC runs chkdisk to detect any errors first, only if that succeeds (which might mean errors found and fixed) will defrag run. The one that comes with windows isn't very good, it's reliable and won't break your PC but it fails to do many of the things a decent 3rd party tool will do (proper rotational optimisation, for example)

Those that have had bad experiences will have been purely coincidental. A RAID set is presented to the system as a logical volume and therefore windows knows nothing of the actual makeup of the disks (unless we are talking about software RAID).

That said, de fragmentation can be thought of as a "disk exerciser", it makes it work hard with many hundreds of thousands of seeks, reads and writes. If there was an underlying problem with the disk then this might actually provoke the failure, it wasn't defrag that broke, it was the disk.

Yep, so good I already linked it :stupid:

In my opinion it's the best there is out there at the moment, I read their white paper, they know a thing or two these guys. I use it where I am forced to use windows, and it certainly lives up to it's claims.

One of the simplest things it does well which the built in doesn't is to place frequently used files on the outer tracks of the disk.

Think about it, the disk spins at a constant speed. The outside edge of the disk is travelling faster than the middle section which means it passes under the read head more often than does the middle. This means the computer can read data from the outside areas faster than it can from the middle. Put all the frequently read files there and you will fetch them faster from the disk, which means your computer is faster.

It does so many other things, and whilst a lot of them (and indeed the example above) are not strictly de fragmentation tasks, they are optimisations and make a real difference.

Tried the MSConfig and got a bit mixed up somehow.The Disktrix looked good but could not open the downloaded file.

FINALLY i found a free download called Auslogic defrag.Real easy and freed up 8% disc space.Would recommend to fellow pc numpties.Thanks for all encouragement. :P