Has anyone ever had any accidents

reloder

About 20 years ago, my friend was decoying over beans in a deep dyke. His gun was laid on the side of the dyke as he sent his lab for down bird in the wood behind him. As his dog leapt up the bank, it caught the trigger guard in its pad and set off both barrells of his gun. Luckily both master and dog were not injured, though he did dispose of his old baikal for one with a working safety! :thumbs:

;) Having your licence or certificate doesn't give you permission to shoot anywhere or at anything, only the land owner or his agent can give you that.

The only thing a book can tell you is the protected species and the shooting seasons of the ones that are fair game.

Oh Dear,

I like to keep things light hearted, but this is a serious issue, not a matter of fun.

As a boy I was shot (at quite long range) in the face and took a more or less spent pellet in the eye. I can't describe the pain. Fortunately no very serious permanent harm was done, but I still have some mild vision defects, and internal scar tissue.

The man who fired the shot knew he had been irresponsible and was beside himself with guilt, remorse and fear. In retrospect he actually suffered more than me, and gave up shooting soon afterwards.

Last year I was wildfowling in Scotland. One of our party (we were lying prone in grass by a hedgeline) had a "negligent discharge" and his auto loaded with 52g of lead went off flat along the ground. My best chum was next to this guy, and I called his name asking if he was all right. He didn't reply. Can you imagine how I felt? I thought the greatest pal I've ever had in my life was dead. Fortunately he hadn't been hit, he just didn't hear me call. Only God knows where the charge went.

Boys, if you never ever take any advice from me I won't care; but just this once I beg you to be careful of your own lives and that of others.

Eug

That is why all shooters should be in the Basc or Cpsa or have some insurance cover. In all my years shooting i had a 410 hammer gun go off into the ground trying to pull the right hand hammer back when i was about 11 years old with my father. A double discharge from a Perezzi MX8 when pushing the saftey catch selecter over about 5 year ago at a clay shoot lucky i was in a cage with the barrels pointing down range. Gun had to be sent back to Perezzi it was about a month old. But i saw a young lad about 13 years old shoot a hare on a hare shoot one day about a foot infront of a guy on his left while walking in line, When he shot i thought he had hit him. The bloke threw some ****s into this boy i tell ya, and the keeper again a little while later, and i remember him saying one more like that sunny and you and father will be off home. Ive seen a few people with cuts on their heads and faces over the years from broken clay pigeons, some having to be stiched. Touch wood i stay accident free for the rest of my days.

A specific point for RELODER and any of you guys with bolt action .410s. They are great fun, but have to be handled with the following in mind.....If you close the bolt very hard, or give the back of the closed bolt a ding the gun can go off.

My cousin was crossing a fence with a 410. held by the barrel, butt down. Now this is a hideous and cretinously stupid thing to do with any gun, but being a bolt action made it worse. The (wet) gun slipped though his fingers, and somehow the fence caught the tail of the bolt. He was shot through the side of his hand, removing bones and tendons. He still receives disability benefit.

Bad? Think on Bonnie Lads, where must his head have been in relation to the line of fire?

Eug

What about mistaken identity....

I sat out yesterday morning waiting for a fox on a local pig farm.

My friend was in a car on the opposite side of the farm with a .222. We were in contact with each other via radios.

At 5am in that half light of dawn I heard the report of his rifle. I gave it a minute before asking "Did you get it?" his reply I will never forget. "I've just shot a pig" i asked him was it a piglet? thinking size shape, low light etc. He replied, no a full grown boar.

Needless to say he is 100% embaressed, and has knocked his confidence.

Luckily for him the lad works on the farm and his boss thought the whole incident quite funny.

But we all know there is a more serious issue to mistaken identity.

I think it is time to halt this thread.

We all know that the rare mishap takes place but a stranger to shooting reading this thread would get the impression that we all have an accident every time we go out.

This impression although we all know not to be true, is not the one we need to give out in these times.