17HMR CCI 20gr Hollow Points

On the spur of the moment I picked up a brick of these today when I went to top up on my ammo. I normally use Remington 17gr V-Max through my CZ and have been very pleased with them, tight groups and they stop both rabbits and fox.

But I wondered if the 20gr CCI would have a bit more stopping power on fox.

But, I have also heard they are not so great for accuracy, what have other people experienced???

I have yet to try them on paper to adjust the zero but will later this week.

Thanks

Jerry

Well punched some paper today with the 20gr CCI and found I did not have to adjust zero.

Target board at 85m and first shot into the centre of a piece of A4 to see where it is going and it was pretty much centre.

Did the rest of the mag at a 1" square and OK results.

Waited a few mins and then did a mag of 5 at a clean target, 3 shots inside the 1" square, 2 of which where touching. 1 shot clipped the edge of the square and the last shot was about a 1/4" outside the square.

This may have been due to wind or poor technique from me.

So no need to adjust zero for 100 yard shots, might need to check longer range stuff though.

Now to find a real target.

Jerry

I don't think so, they drive them quite a bit slower than the 17grn's so I doubt it.

Glad your girl seems to like them gerry, gave mine indigestion :)

From the look of the back of the target board, 1cm marine ply, I could not tell the difference between 17gr polymer tipped and the 20gr hollows.

Grouping with the 17gr is better though I have only shot a limited number of the 20gr to compare.

I will use the rest of the 50 round brick now to see how things go, still early days.

I was surprised no messing around with zero was required though!

Jerry

I keep a few 20gn on me if i see a fox. I find that the 20gn are more likely to mushroom over and stay together than 17gn, which are designed to fragment on impact. More chance of the bullet energy being dumped on target, penetrating and killing the fox cleanly, than shattering and making a nasty shallow wound.

I keep a few 20gn on me if i see a fox. I find that the 20gn are more likely to mushroom over and stay together than 17gn, which are designed to fragment on impact. More chance of the bullet energy being dumped on target, penetrating and killing the fox cleanly, than shattering and making a nasty shallow wound.

Do you change POI at all when you use them?

Jerry

Do you change POI at all when you use them?

Jerry

No. When the rifle was new the 20gn went 2" left at 100yds compared to 17`s but now they seem to have the same POI. Even when they went 2" left i just allowed for it. At one point i was using 20gn for everything as they`re cheap here and shoot well through my gun.I`m using Fed 17gn at the moment cos they shoot well and there was 500 available when i wanted to stock up. A bit of experimentation might reveal similar results in your rifle.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put some CCI 20gn through my Sako Quad punching paper at 100yds, same POI as the Remington 17gn and Hornady 17gn, tested all three at the same location, same conditions, the only difference for me was the Hornady's are louder than the other two, luckily for me it saves a bit of fiddling, adjusting the POA etc.