Meanwhile, in Australia lockdown...

chrisjpainter

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Why is there any form of lockdown/restriction currently in force in Australia?!?

They haven't really had covid out there like we have, they have kept it out and locked down hard as soon as it has appeared. Total of 910 deaths so far I believe.

If they didn't lock down as a recent response to a few cases they would just be at the start of what happened in this country.

4 hours ago, 39TDS said:

They haven't really had covid out there like we have, they have kept it out and locked down hard as soon as it has appeared. Total of 910 deaths so far I believe.

If they didn't lock down as a recent response to a few cases they would just be at the start of what happened in this country.

mmm we'll just have to agree to differ as to whether it's a proportionate response.

My question though, is what's the long-game for the likes of Australia - They can't be keep it out forever?  It's an airborne virus, and the Aussie economy is dependent on foreigners coming in, whether for tourism or to conduct business.

Perpetual lockdowns, or threats thereof can't work.

14 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Would they?  Do you really think?  Firstly they're now armed with 18 months of the rest of the world's experience dealing with covid.  They've got plenty of good and bad examples to learn from.  Think back to last January when nobody over here had a scooby doo about what was coming and how significant the effects would be, or indeed how long the shockwaves would keep rippling on for.  Now that the scenario has been played out in so many countries over so much time there's an absolute wealth of data to work from.

A multitude of options now exist in terms of vaccines.  It's fair to say Australia's vaccination programme has been a bit slow off the mark but they'll soon catch up.  I'm not so sure whether it's a supply issue, compliance or logistics that's holding them up but none of those problems are insurmountable.

So they'll be in nothing like the position the UK was in last March.  If they stuff it up with all that time and knowledge in their favour they really do have a bunch of clowns at the wheel.

What's going to be left of the Australian economy if they keep this up much longer?  Divide the billions of $AUS it's costing by the 910 deaths so far and those lives will have an eye-watering price tag on them.  I simply don't understand the logic.

Edited by Jim Neal

Well maybe they are using our example as a reason not to do what we did. Us not locking down early on didn't seem to me to do much good.

Whatever, it is Australia and they must do what they think fit. Drop them a line if you think you have something to offer.