Wild Gourmets - Suffolk

Wookie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of shooting on tv of late, which I think is great news for the sport :blush:

Some more with the essex cheeky chappie next Tues on Chan4..

Episode 10 - Game

Jamie has been invited on a local shoot and uses the opportunity to explore the world of delicious game birds.

He spends time with local gamekeeper Geoff, who lets him take part in his partridge shoot and discusses how to get involved with the countryside.

To show just how versatile this under-used part of the culinary world can be, Jamie applies Asian, European - as well as traditional British - cooking principles to get the best out of each bird.

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/J/.../episodes3.html

However, consider her credentials for being a wildlife/TV chef... She's a girl, she's half decent looking and she can cook. Instant celeb.

The same sort of thing applies to the bloke... He can sort of shoot, sort of fish, looks out-doorsy and can light a fire. Instant wildlife/outdoors presenter.

TV these days is all about image, not about substance. If it was, they would not be driving round with a herb garden in their landy.

We have all watched 'how to' videos and dvd's made by proper sportsman, and usaully they are quite informative but either plan funny or excruciatingly embarrassing to watch.

It is pretty rare to find someone who really knows their subject and is able to present it in a professional and entertaining way.

Some can do it, but most can't.

These programs will always be a compromise in some way or another, they are contrived, they are heavily scripted and they are hugely edited highlights of what actually happened.

They have to be that way to even justify a prime time slot on terestrial television.

Reality, for example could be sitting in a high seat for 20 hours waiting for a deer to appear looking out over an empty field.

Making 40 half hour programs of that, to normal people (not Big Brother fans obviously) wouldn't make very watchable television :lol:

I managed to hear a bit of the radio this morning and they were chatting about this programme, someone said "They filled up their car up with vegetable oil for fuel because it is very good for the environment then they drove off and there was a shot of the landy going off filmed from a helicopter" sort of defeats the object of an eco car!

Big up for the NOBS website as well on primetime TV as well, nice one :D

Though they got the web address wrong and did not mention what Nobs was realy about....oh well.

Rest of it was good though.

Jerry

Bad really seeing as Mr Garrod should really know what he is talking about being famous and all that. Made me laugh though that Jamie Oliver tried to make out he'd always done that sort of thing (Shooting not cooking).

The wild gourmets was interesting although I can't believe that the power of a TV crew didn't help get the chance to shoot Grouse whether it was walked up or not. If it was that easy we'd all be up there digging over the veg plot and ferreting for a shot or two. Still good receipes all round.

SS

I thought both programmes were OK, at least they explined that the money from shooting paid for the conservation and explained what went on and why.

BIG :D:good: to Channel 4

Explined ? Please explain How you made a spelling error. :lol:

OH dear :yp: :D:no:

Please accept my apologies Mr Teacher, I will go and stand in the corner with the dunces hat on while you lord it up over everyone. ;);):good:

D******D

Noty a bad program this week. Ok, slightly unrealistic about how they got to do the shooting, but hey, can't have everything.

_IF_ you take it all at face value, it looks like they had a decent day out and I am very glad to see them explaining the whole concept of heather burning and conservation. You rarely see that on TV. I still think it's a bit contrived though.

Missed Jamie... What did the mockney **** get up to this week?

Well now.............I really enjoyed watching this program so far. Sure, there are some bits I could do without like him taking off his pants and showing off his ar*e on just about every occassion ( but then again, if you have it ...flaunt it :D ) She seems to be fairly honest about things in general but she did give it a go last night stretching a rabbit's neck. As for her cooking ...... I don't know, I cook better :lol:

Living off the land however is a bit of a misnomer .......... living off the landrover is more like it!

THe one thing they should have explained in a little more depths is how difficult (not for me but for others!) to find a place where you can shoot pigoens never mind pheasants or even grouse. ALso, shotgun certificates and...........can all of us really drive around the countryside with out shotguns? I bet this goverment would have even consider banning the use of 4-wheel drives

Summary: It is easy to "live" of the land with CH4 as a backup

Second thoughts: That girl has the potential to go far ( at least with me :good: )