Lucky fox

30-6

I have just posted in another section about hardprimers last night costing me a fox.

Spotted something with my new toy ( a thermal spotter ), checked with my nv monocular, fox walking towards me,GREAT. Gun up on tripod switched on my Photon picked up the target still walking to me. Waited for it to turn broadside which it did, pulled the trigger CLICK. Knelt down, took the unfired bullet out as quietly as I could, re-loaded and tried again. GONE, looked around it was at my right. Turned the tripod around, lined up at the now sitting fox,here goes, BUT, then my wife decides to phone me. By now it had finished teasing me and went into a nearby wood, where it sat just inside looking at me with blinking eyes.

Second time, Hornady Superperformance 53g have let me down.

Yeah, understand what you are saying, I did tilt the stock up so removing off the tripod the barrel was pointing down, but in all honesty probably didn't wait 2 or 3 minutes in the heat of the moment. Lesson learnt, and any less experienced shooters please note.

In my experience any miss fire should be treated with caution but as long as the muzzle is pointing in a safe direction at all times I see little danger in extracting the round. A round outside the chamber is unlikely to cause serious harm to anything, and in my experience of hang fires, they go off within 3 seconds or not at all!

And you do have to wonder, who and on what scientific basis came up with the three minute rule!