Have your say on NI general licences

The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) is asking for views on the Northern Ireland general licences for the killing and taking of pest birds in a public consultation running from 26 May to 21 July 2022.

BASC Northern Ireland urges members, non-members, farmers - and anyone else that uses the general licences to control pest birds - to complete the online survey.

You will be asked for your views on whether various species of birds should be on the general licences. You can make comments and share your experience and you will also be asked questions on the terms and conditions of the general licences. You do not need to answer every question to complete the survey.

The general licences currently do not permit the killing or taking of pest birds on Sunday or at night. Question 45 can be used to request that these restrictions be removed.

More information on the following webpage:

https://basc.org.uk/gl/nire/

I have written this: 

In fact I believe that the magpie should be able to be shot at all times and for any reason. These pests are a major predator of red list and other songbird nests and fledglings. It should not be necessary to have any sort of "General Licence" as control of this species whether by shooting or trapping is of benefit to other wildlife.

I believe that the woodpigeon should be able to be shot at any time as a valuable food crop in the same way that gamebirds can be shot. If taking of pigeon is to be regukated by a "General Licence" then a "good reason" on that permission should be shooting them for food to be eaten by the shooter or to be sold to be eaten by others. That they can be shot as such a food crop should NOT depend on a need to show that they are "causing damage" to crops. Woodpigeon should become again, as it once was, able to be shot for food just as rabbits can be shot for food.

In fact I believe that feral pigeon should be able to be shot at all times and for any reason. These pests are a major polluter of urban areas and their presence encourages misguided people to "feed the birds" and then creating a rat problem. It should not be necessary to have any sort of "General Licence" as control of this species whether by shooting or trapping is of benefit to reducing their fouling, their risk of spreading disease and their causing a rat problem for the reasons as noted earlier.

I believe that the rook should be able to be shot at any time as a valuable food crop in the same way that gamebirds can be shot with a "season" where young rooks may be shot as "branchers" (that is young birds that have left the nest but yet unable to fly) in April and May.

Edited by enfieldspares

• 3 months later...

HSE say a ban on lead ammunition will save the cost of replacing woodpigeon that die after picking up spent shot while are feeding.

They calculate that 216,684 woodpigeon are at risk, and replacement would cost between £3,431,085 and £14,296,186, which works out at £16 - £66 for each pigeon.   If we assume that feed might account for 70% of bird rearing costs, that suggests each woodpigeon could be eating about £50 worth of agricultural crops.

It’s all explained near the end of the HSE consultation dossier:    2.5.3 Quantified benefits   /   2.5.3.1 Impacts to wildlife   /   Table 2.17

I hope HSE have passed that information on to DAERA .