A first for me to see at my bird feeder .

johnphilip

Was looking out my kitchen window , could not work out what bird was  at the peanuts and fat ball .

Could not quite tell if it was a housemartin or Swallow  , been in this house 14 years this is the first year they have not built a nest on the side of my house . I usual have at least 6 nests .

They are not about this year at all , is there not the insects  for them at the moment  , a very strange happening.  Need to keep an eye on the feeder more .

Went to a friends who live just north of Leominster, their house backs onto farm land and there were a few swallows flitting around the corn fields but did not see many Swifts, come harvest there be hundreds of them skimming the stubble fields.

I have never seen a Swallow or House-martin on a feeder, have you seen this before?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Went to a friends who live just north of Leominster, their house backs onto farm land and there were a few swallows flitting around the corn fields but did not see many Swifts, come harvest there be hundreds of them skimming the stubble fields.

I have never seen a Swallow or House-martin on a feeder, have you seen this before?

No it's a first for me , I rent a cottage  in the middle of a farm . Usually  we would see quite a few on the phone wires on an evening.  Is it there is not the insects about and they don't want to mate . Will be interesting  to see how the year goes . Was watching 3 blue tits feed there young this morning what a beautiful  sight .