Which rimfire semi auto?

njc110381

I'm looking at semi auto rimfires, I'm thinking I may get one when my cert arrives. I have experience of the Ruger 10/22 and I don't like it much! That leaves the CZ 511, and the Remmington 597 as good options. I really like the sound of the 597, but is it as good as it's made out to be? Also, does it come ready screwcut?

yep the 597 does come screw cut. early models got apalling reports due to misfeed probs but it is supposed to be sorted with the last magazine they developed. they say it shoots better from the box than the 10/22 which a lot of people trick up. i went for the cz511 as it was well built sturdy little rifle . its accurate too.i have no misfeeds eitherwalnut humpback stock as standard.i believe they are now discontinued so you better be quick.better built than the 597 . the 511 trigger is slightly heavy its only downfall but its a great little workhorse.

I'm looking at the auto for fun shooting at the club more than for field work. For accurate shooting I get on mch better with a bolt gun, but the HMR should cover that nicely.

I know a guy who tunes Rugers for a living (and NW custom parts sounds very familiar, maybe that's his company?) so that could still be an option. I don't tend to go for tricked up kit though, so hopefully a near standard option is available. All this is just a thought, so there's no rush for me to make a decision! I just have this issue that I don't like the feel of the Ruger!

I'm looking at semi auto rimfires, I'm thinking I may get one when my cert arrives. I have experience of the Ruger 10/22 and I don't like it much! That leaves the CZ 511, and the Remmington 597 as good options. I really like the sound of the 597, but is it as good as it's made out to be? Also, does it come ready screwcut?

hi mate. I recently bought a remington 597 with moderator all in for £230! I have put loads of different types of subsonic ammo through it with no feed problems at all. All in all i am very pleased with it, it certainly blats bunnies well enough!

hi mate. I recently bought a remington 597 with moderator all in for £230! I have put loads of different types of subsonic ammo through it with no feed problems at all. All in all i am very pleased with it, it certainly blats bunnies well enough!

neil dont buy the remington 597 they are real **** my friend bought a new one and pure **** malfunctions etc rate out of the box in my opinion that seems to be the norm with remington latley some will disagree and i am sure the 870 pump and the 700 can be decent but i have even seen one of the sh-t the bed i have seen a high volume of remingtons lates **** and that is exactly what they are **** for semiauto 22's RUGER, CZ, Thompson Centerfire, and Browning or the old anchutz if you can find one

Neil. How long ago were these guns bought buddy? Remington had a lot of problems with the mag feed on the early models, but that's supposedly been sorted out now? They used to be a real problem and wouldn't feed unless only half filled! The guns also jam from new sometimes after not that many shots because of the excess grease that is put on them at the factory. It mixes with the powder residue and gums up the action and safety catch. Once cleaned out for the first time they are supposed to be very reliable because there's no more grease for the crud to stick to. It's kind of p***ed on my bonfire hearing that you've experienced problems though :good:

Steyrman. I think this is the first time I've heard a serious complaint about a CZ too, maybe it was just an unlucky bad gun? As you say, the bolt actions are very good. It's been said that they only have an 8 shot mag too, which is bad for comp use.

Ruger 10/22 stainless synthetic for sale.

This is a highly accurate self-loader due to the Rim-fire magic, match chambered barrel.

I have used this rifle for target and rabbit shooting for about six years with great success.

Hogue stock, 'Rimfire magic' match chamber barrel screwcut for moderator, Volquartsen trigger assembly, auto bolt release, Bolt has been machined for easier cycling of sub-sonic ammo, Volquartsen bolt spring, Volquartsen bolt buffer, four ten shot magazines. The only original bits left on this rifle are the receiver and the bolt. Some spares also included.

Great accurate little semi auto.

PM me for info mate.

Rob.

Neil. How long ago were these guns bought buddy? Remington had a lot of problems with the mag feed on the early models, but that's supposedly been sorted out now? They used to be a real problem and wouldn't feed unless only half filled! The guns also jam from new sometimes after not that many shots because of the excess grease that is put on them at the factory. It mixes with the powder residue and gums up the action and safety catch. Once cleaned out for the first time they are supposed to be very reliable because there's no more grease for the crud to stick to. It's kind of p***ed on my bonfire hearing that you've experienced problems though :good:

Steyrman. I think this is the first time I've heard a serious complaint about a CZ too, maybe it was just an unlucky bad gun? As you say, the bolt actions are very good. It's been said that they only have an 8 shot mag too, which is bad for comp use.

yeah mate that maywell be the case and the 8 mag is no good as you said :good: