Ferrets !HELP!

Pigeon_decoyer

Does anyone know anything about ferrets if so would you be kind enough to share your expertise with me please?

I have 7 ferrets 1 is pregnaunt and nearly due to have her babies soon, the dog ferret is still in there with her and she keeps biting the dog on the neck and head and looks like she is hurting him, She is trying to drag him into the nest she has built!

Do you know why?

Hearing from oher people that once the femal ferret is pregnaunt she kills the dog if the are left together!

Is this true?

I have seperated them!

Have I dont the right thing?

Many thanks

PD

yes you have done the right thing dont worry and get ready to have your hands full i breed mine and i had 11 kits from mine and when there eyes open and there walking its like a wave when you open the cage but it was worth it would do it again but i cant as she has been spade now good look

I have seen this behaviour when I housed a vasectomised hob with jills.

Essentially the jill is treating the hob as a kit, she thinks the 'kit' should be in the nest and is dragging it back there.

It is definitely the right thing to house the hob separately.

Probably safest to leave it until the kits have gone, no point in taking chances!

You may like to re-introduce the hob slowly, just in case there are any "issues".

The old timers would always house the hob separately, but I think the ferrets enjoy the company.

You have done the right thing. I have in the past left a hob and jill together, with mixed results. first time i done it the hob ate the young, second time same pair no problem. I think that if the hob and jill have been housed together for some time it can work.

One thing to remember regarding putting the hob back in with the jill is that he will still be in season, till august at least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the gestation period for ferrets is roughly 6 weeks (42-44 days) although it can be a few days either way.

i kept 2 jills together this year while havingkits and lost the lot of the kits. luckily i'v still got a jill in kit, and she's on her own. shouldn't have a problem now, hopefully. :lol: