Corvid Ladder Trap

harrycatcat1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/09/2022 at 13:57, ninjaferret said:

Door would be better at the end with a step in , so door is higher off the ground.

It would take more adapting on the end than on the side.

8 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

Ah well i've tried to advise, i'm sure you'll figure it out yourself.

Why is it so important to have the door at the end?.

Edited by harrycatcat1

10 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It would take more adapting on the end than on the side.

Why is it so important to have the door at the end?.

You dont need a step at the bottom of the door, the birds will be up the other end from the door when your getting in, they are more likely to fly over your head and out the door.

It's better to have a step as you will have some birds scurrying about the floor and so vegetation doesn't fowl the door. 

Better to have the door on the end as it gives you more room and hopefully puts the birds to the opposite end.

I only run 6 ladder traps , just a bit bigger than your's so to be fair i really don't know that much about them.

Oh and for what it's worth i always wire the bottom aswell, just incase anyone or anything tries to get in from underneath. 

Then where would you be.... ?

Good luck on your quest..

Edited by ninjaferret

9 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

It's better to have a step as you will have some birds scurrying about the floor and so vegetation doesn't fowl the door. 

Better to have the door on the end as it gives you more room and hopefully puts the birds to the opposite end.

I only run 6 ladder traps , just a bit bigger than your's so to be fair i really don't know that much about them.

Oh and for what it's worth i always wire the bottom aswell, just incase anyone or anything tries to get in from underneath. 

Good luck on your quest..

Then where would you be ?

Thank you very much for your advice and modesty. As I have said this one is just a prototype so there will be the odd hiccup along the way and no doubt I will find out when I use it. 😉 

edited to say the basc video shows the door on the side so that's where the idea came from.

Edited by harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thank you very much for your advice and modesty. As I have said this one is just a prototype so there will be the odd hiccup along the way and no doubt I will find out when I use it. 😉 

edited to say the basc video shows the door on the side so that's where the idea came from.

End or side door will make very little difference when entering the trap.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

End or side door will make very little difference when entering the trap.

I can't understand why a side door would be bad but then again I haven't used one yet so the jury is out. As I've said this is the prototype and is being built on a budget. If it works 💪 then I can learn from using it and make adjustments accordingly for the next one.

I still welcome all suggestions though 😊 👍👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I can't understand why a side door would be bad but then again I haven't used one yet so the jury is out. As I've said this is the prototype and is being built on a budget. If it works 💪 then I can learn from using it and make adjustments accordingly for the next one.

I still welcome all suggestions though 😊 👍👍

Just go online and see how many have a step below the door and how many have the door at the end, as I said it will make very little difference, side or end.

When despatching birds It can get a bit hairy if you have 10, 20 or more birds flapping about, when I was involved with keeping we used a short handled landing nets to catch the birds, you might also consider wearing some protective eye goggles and garden gloves, also if its dusty a face mask, there's some nasty diseases you can pick up from bites, scratches and the dust, mind you, I know a few keepers who don't bother with any of the above and they are still alive.

When you first site your trap leave the ladder off and the door open, then bait and watch for a week or so, that is unless you already have a call bird/s.

To help stop predators possibly entering your trap, use an electric fence, although I have seen Badgers go through both the electric fence and the netting, make sure you have some high perches for the captive birds.

Just one other thing about the netting, use 35mm wire mesh so smaller birds can escape, but its not a legal requirement to-do so.

Edited by old'un

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

Just go online and see how many have a step below the door and how many have the door at the end, as I said it will make very little difference, side or end.

When despatching birds It can get a bit hairy if you have 10, 20 or more birds flapping about, when I was involved with keeping we used a short handled landing nets to catch the birds, you might also consider wearing some protective eye goggles and garden gloves, also if its dusty a face mask, there's some nasty diseases you can pick up from bites, scratches and the dust, mind you, I know a few keepers who don't bother with any of the above and they are still alive.

When you first site your trap leave the ladder off and the door open, then bait and watch for a week or so, that is unless you already have a call bird/s.

To help stop predators possibly entering your trap, use an electric fence, although I have seen Badgers go through both the electric fence and the netting, make sure you have some high perches for the captive birds.

Just one other thing about the netting, use 35mm wire mesh so smaller birds can escape, but its not a legal requirement to-do so.

Thanks for the information 👍 I do have leather garden gloves when dispatching magpies and taking them out of the larson trap as the beggars give a nasty peck. Goggles are a good idea too for catching them in the ladder trap.

33 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Getting close to finishing now, where would you say the best place to position it 🤔 

Near the edge of field?

In the middle of a field?

At the side of a hedge?

Under a tree?

In a wood?

What in your experience would be the best place ?

Normally where you have seen the largest number of birds, which could be a regularly used sitty tree/s, a field, around the farm yard, its knowing your ground that will help you decide.

What do you intend baiting the trap with?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Normally where you have seen the largest number of birds, which could be a regularly used sitty tree/s, a field, around the farm yard, its knowing your ground that will help you decide.

What do you intend baiting the trap with?

Well, I was going to bait it with bread and any roadkill picked up a few days before. I was going to leave the detachable ladder off and leave the door open for a few days at least.