Hide Colour

dead-eye-dick

After reading the reports in the " new gear" section, I made me wonder if the colour of your hide netting  really matters...

people are raving about the 'moorlands' nets, but at over £50 is it really worth replaceing your old for???

If cammo just breaks up the image of a person with a gun, as Cranfield says, does it matter what we use.

Or are they produced to LURE us rather than HIDE us.. :)

i am in need of a new net, my old one is really ****,

I've been looking around for one which will do for "all seasons"

N&S do one which looks good in the pictures, but the 'better one' is in a harvest gold.

It's half the price of all the others, looks a good balance of concelment and through-visablity and at £25 for 20' is great value.

But I'm unsure of the colour -

will the pigeons notice...... :what:  :what:

What do you think.....has anyone tried to spray netting - one side left gold - the other painted green/browm/black ??

The "theory" of camouflage is that the outline of the object (hide and shooter), has to be "broken" from its normal perceived shape.

It is suggested, that colour coordination/blending with natural surroundings is unnecessary.

Therefore, if you used a bright red netting, but broke up the square outline and hid the shooter, the pigeons would be fooled.

I prefer my green and brown, blends in, cammo netting, thanks very much.   :)  :)

I dont do much decoying in the winter but to my mind a dark green net would do all year round for making hides in hedgerows. Take a look at hedgerows with all different types of trees in it,Holly thats evergreen never seen pigeon actively avoiding them have you? Beech holds its leaves all winter dosnt seem to put the birds from landing in them does it. I know beech leaves are rustic brown shall we say, but it dosnt alter the fact that the pigeon take no notice of them, its the same with holly you will get one holly tree in an otherwise bare headge but does it put pigeon off? i dont think so .As i have said in the past i have not done a lot of pigeon shooting and i may be barking up the wrong tree with this way of thinking but to me it seems to make sense wether im right or wrong its something to thinkabout.

The debate regarding net colour is an interesting one and it may be true that pigeons can indeed be fooled by break up alone. I use the moorland net which helps me to blend into the background through both break up and colour matching. The colours may not matter but it certainly gives me confidence that the birds can't see me so I'm happy.  :)

If anyone is brave enought to to try orange netting I would be interest to know how you get on.  :)  :)

i use an old tank net which i bought along time ago it is not very light weight but it is the best i have seen in a while it will not blow around in the wind and when dirty it can be pressure washed with out any trouble as it is sort of plastic leaf affect the only trouble with it is if it touches bramles etc its like velcrove to the thing but as i say again it is very hedge like in apperance and will not rip or fray i got it from birds in ipswich at a good price it is 15 x 20 for £30 :)