Mounting thermal to CZ452

goldie

Hi all. Looking for some help/ideas for mounting a Pulsar Thermion2 lrf XQ50pro onto  CZ 452 11mm dovetail. Ideally with a one piece quick release scope mount and fitting a picatinny rail, but could stay with the dovetail if I need to. All my scopes are mounted with dovetail mounts so don't have the knowledge of picatinny. The main problem that I can see is the spent shell cases hitting the full length picatinny rail/ mounts when ejected. I could cut away part of the rail/mount to stop this happening but maybe you guys can point me in the right/better direction.
   Many thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers John 

Thanks for the reply oldypigeonpoppe but I'm not too sure of the way to go at the moment, that's why I asked. There are picatinny rails made for the CZs that slide into the dovetail and tighten down with bolts from the top and are recessed around the mouth . I will need 3 of these for my rifles at £65 each . Pulsar do a mounting bracket for £250 but can't tell me if it will need a special rail for the CZ's. There may be a cheaper way to go but if not, I may have to "bite the bullet" I'm hoping that another member has the same set up and can enlighten me. Cheers

I swap my nv unit between an air rifle, cz 452and a cz 527, and have picatinny rail on all three. The big plus for pic rail is that your fixing to exactly the same point every time, and therefore giving you perfect return to zero each time. I use a DIP picatinny rail on my 452, it has the correct cut out above the ejection port

Cheers for that enigma. It looks like picatinny and 2 quick release scope rings is the way to go. Just thought that it was a little expensive having to buy 3 of those DIP rails and maybe some one  had a cheaper solution for the rails.(I am a true Yorkshireman) I was looking at a 200mm long dovetail/picatinny rail for £16 that I could cut down to size and then make the "cut out" on the lathe and re drill and tap any holes as needed. Would only take an hour. Just a thought :-))

6 hours ago, goldie said:

Cheers for that enigma. It looks like picatinny and 2 quick release scope rings is the way to go. Just thought that it was a little expensive having to buy 3 of those DIP rails and maybe some one  had a cheaper solution for the rails.(I am a true Yorkshireman) I was looking at a 200mm long dovetail/picatinny rail for £16 that I could cut down to size and then make the "cut out" on the lathe and re drill and tap any holes as needed. Would only take an hour. Just a thought :-))

No reason why that wouldn't work. Sounds like your skill set is greater than mine though. 🤣

I would invest in some quality mounts for the scope fixed direct to the dovetail. Sako do a base which is a direct fix and you can fit rings to suit.

https://bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/product/optilock-base-for-tikka-rimfire-rifles

Why bother with a picatinny; it just introduces one more set of fixings which may work loose and could also restrict the ejection port?

There's nothing worse than faffing around with empties not ejecting clearly. Keep it simple and reliable.

5 hours ago, the enigma said:

No reason why that wouldn't work. Sounds like your skill set is greater than mine though. 🤣

Many thanks reddog for your reply. I'm still not 100% sure on which way to go but because of swopping the scope over to different rifles, up to now, picatinny are winning and if the £16 rail is a success then even more so. Never had any of these problems when using my self made add on night vision/spotters but since trying a thermal spotter it's a whole new world and I've got the bug. I just didn't think about the mounting bit. Cheers. John