Starting out in slug reloading

Hi there,

I’m looking for some advice on starting out on reloading 12b slugs.

Ideally of the Cervo / Thug Slug type that I can shoot at Bisley and perhaps take to Croatia to shoot wild boar (I think Gualandi do some suitable hunting slugs but would welcome advice).

I reload my own metallic cartridges and currently use Unique for some of my .44 mag reloading so if could find a powder that would work for slugs and .44 mag loads, that would be great.

I have also recently won at an auction a Mec Slugger press so I can handle resizing, charging and crimping.

So my questions are:

• Is there a good load manual to get? (I was wondering about downloading the ballistics product manual)
  • Powder – Can I use Unique are another powder which is available which would suit .44 mag plinking loads
  • Do I need any other tools besides the press?
  • What about consumables?
    • Am I likely to need an overshot card for weather proofing (particularly for hunting)?
    • Is a Cervo / Thug Slugs OK at Bisley?
    • Will I need “spacers” for COAL?
    • What’s a good primer to get?
    • Are there any particular hulls to get / avoid? (I have access to some S&B and Geco slug hulls + various high brass pheasant and fowling loads)
  • Is there anything else I should be asking?

No advice too basic!

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

18 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

No advice too basic!

I'm looking forward to some replies as it's something I'm also looking to do. I do currently load my own home cast Lee slugs but that's a bit different to what you're after.

A few comments. If you don't have the Mec press yet you can download the instructions and they may help you get going.

I would be cautious of US books as getting hold of US components can be hard to impossible. You mention Gualandi, have you looked at their site and found the load data they publish, it includes data for slugs. http://www.gualandi.it/en/tables.html

You ask about a good primer, I'll resist the urge to say one that is in stock, but I'd follow the load data as different makes of primer behave differently. They are not all the same size as well so some makes of primer will be too tight or too loose in another brand of hull.

If you're reusing hulls I would try a couple before getting loads of them, I had great trouble resizing the S&B slug hulls in my press.

It may also be worth having a chat with John down at FES, http://####.co.uk/slugs.htm

Edit to add, the web address seems to have been censored, it is F E S K E N T .co.uk without the spaces.

Edited by Windswept

• 3 weeks later...

for PSG i load my own 12ga slugs and i load them a touch cold becasue theyre for paper punching not dropping wild boar. so they are very friendly on the shoulder however not really what you want for dangerous game.  i find them better than factory stuff for targets through an imp cyl choke so may be of intrest to you at bisley

i use

cx2000 primers in cheddite cases role crimped.

25gr of csb5 maxam powder

pushing a 7/8 oz lee key driver mold slug with pure air cooled lead to be as soft as possible to splat and not richocet (i keep any that weigh 24g and any over or under go back in the pot.) inside an 078 lightning wad by ballistic products. with a 20ga cotton/felt filler between the wad and the slug to cushion it and bring the shot column up to the correct hight.

Edited by Sweet11-87