Road chaos again.

Westley

OK, so we have an inch or so of snow and 'severe frost' and once again the Country is brought to a standstill. News depicting frost on railway lines, so trains are being cancelled. Staff unable to get to work etc.etc.etc. I have lived through some pretty harsh weather in my 77 years on this earth but I do not recall ever being prevented from getting to work more than 30 minutes late, EVER. If the weather forecast was severe, I simply got up and left home earlier, quite simple really. You see, when I have to scrape ice off the car windows and that is ALL of the windows, it gives me a clue as to what the road surfaces are probably going to be like and I drive accordingly. Looking at the average speed and the close proximity to other vehicles at which people are driving, it comes as no surprise that sooner or later one of these plonkers loses control of their vehicle. Of course the fault lies solely in the hands of the local Council. It seems that it is their responsibility to make sure the roads are clear, for these clowns to drive on. 

My lad is a young driver - passed his test over 3 months ago - with this weather I brief him before he leaves the house, and also with the promise that if he doesn't feel comfortable to stop and call me and I will come and get him. He comes home via the major A roads rather than the back road - which is gritted but.....

We are about to go in on a set of spare winters as it is an MX5 rear wheel drive....

6 hours ago, Westley said:

OK, so we have an inch or so of snow and 'severe frost' and once again the Country is brought to a standstill. News depicting frost on railway lines, so trains are being cancelled. Staff unable to get to work etc.etc.etc. I have lived through some pretty harsh weather in my 77 years on this earth but I do not recall ever being prevented from getting to work more than 30 minutes late, EVER. If the weather forecast was severe, I simply got up and left home earlier, quite simple really. You see, when I have to scrape ice off the car windows and that is ALL of the windows, it gives me a clue as to what the road surfaces are probably going to be like and I drive accordingly. Looking at the average speed and the close proximity to other vehicles at which people are driving, it comes as no surprise that sooner or later one of these plonkers loses control of their vehicle. Of course the fault lies solely in the hands of the local Council. It seems that it is their responsibility to make sure the roads are clear, for these clowns to drive on. 

All of us of your generation experienced snow and ice several times every winter. Often a foot or more deep. When I was a kid, the schools were never closed because of what was seen as normal winter weather, in ice or snow we would get to school early and start building huge slides which would often last for days. In this area the schools shut for the least little thing. I suppose they're terrified that young Bailey might slip and bruise his poor ickle elbow.

These days the roads are made much more dangerous because the numpties in the highways department spread salt on perfectly dry roads every time the temp goes near zero. Then, when we get snow settling on salt, guess what, it's far more slippery and treacherous that just plain old snow. Hence chaos.

Our generation just got on with life regardless of the weather. Snow was an inconvenience sometimes but it was a fact of winter life and we pulled on boots and warm clothes and allowed a bit more time for journeys. Back in the famous 62/63 winter I had an 11 mile journey to work which I completed every single day, there and back, on my motorbike. I'll never forget the excruciating pain as the frozen hands came back to life once I got indoors. To me it was a matter of honour to turn up every day for work whatever the weather. Who would do that now?

Sadly it's the snowflakes, lightweights and risk averse "authorities" who dominate life these days.

8 hours ago, Westley said:

I do not recall ever being prevented from getting to work more than 30 minutes late, EVER. If the weather forecast was severe,

I am similar.  When we had severe snow here (early 80s?) - I walked in my wellies 1 1/2 miles to a colleague's house where 3 of us met up - and we all went to work together in one car armed with shovels - which were used where needed.  Our employer had a policy - late but make it in to work ....... get paid a full day; don't come in .......... loose a day's pay.   It seemed a fair scheme to me.  Almost everyone got in to work.