BLACK POWDER LOADS

Yep black powder can be a bit cruel to plastic cases but they are cheap enough to buy. "£12 a hundred primed" Its not as if you will be shooting thousands of the things. I only load 12g. I did have a go at .410 and loaded 30 grains of 2f and a square load of shot. Broke clays OK. Just shot a slab of 3f in 12g. Loaded the same 70 grains as the 2f and frankly could not tell the difference. ie I used the same volume as I do with 2f. which happens to weigh 70 grains. They do say that 3f is around 20% hotter than 2.

12 hours ago, Fenlandbob said:

Cheers mate, I'll have a look. Regarding the brass cases, there's a firm in the states that supplies them. They machine them from brass stock stock, and are intended as a direct replacement for plastic, matching the dimensions so that off the shelf wads, cards and 209 primers can be used. Not cheap, but will last a lifetime. 

Regards, Rob.

Yes RMC Rocky Mountain Cartridge £75 for 20 + tax & shipping /Import duty 😲😲 Ye god's that will be £100+ for 0nly 20.

5 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Yes RMC Rocky Mountain Cartridge £75 for 20 + tax & shipping /Import duty 😲😲 Ye god's that will be £100+ for 0nly 20.

Yep, that's them! You wouldn't want to be buying many at that price...., I have fire formed 303 brass for the ol' Lee Enfield musket, but the primers are hard to get hold of. Might try drilling the pocket out to accept a 209 primer. 

Regards, Rob.

38 minutes ago, Fenlandbob said:

Yep, that's them! You wouldn't want to be buying many at that price...., I have fire formed 303 brass for the ol' Lee Enfield musket, but the primers are hard to get hold of. Might try drilling the pocket out to accept a 209 primer. 

Regards, Rob.

If You use a lathe to drill them out a size B drill bit is the ideal one to use but you may get away with a 6.1mm , I have tried fireforming 303 in my 410 lee enfield but you must fully anneal the cases first to ensure they blow out fully and do not end up looking like a coke bottle.

Edited by Andy H

• 2 weeks later...