Moderator .silencer. options and advice.

B B

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I know of the NP 02 as I tried one in 177 but it was to heavy for me as a walk about air rifle, that was quite a few years back, now it is all shooting with a tripod, 🙄, the Hogan comes out well on decibels same as the new HW and the new MWSS made to order by Matt on the AGF, the NP 02 I tried had one of Matts old MK 1 silencers on and still quite, as happens I started ratting many many years ago with a rat catcher , this had a fitted mod , but the Co2 👎, I still use my old FX Vermy 22 for ratting this last 10 years, topped with a MK 1 Photon, it's very quite, I given the silencer ,  just looked it's a SAK for air rifle , to be honest from what I've read the Hogan looks decent and quite and as you mention cheaper , still it's all down to personnel choice,

Good info, the SAK is about £40  thats £37 less than a A&M marksman, i might just gamble on a SAK and Drill out the end cap section.

I do no walking about with either of the PCps i have, Both are just rats off rests or off door rest i mount on fastened down with a bungee cord to the door bottom on the truck.    Any rabbits for the pot walking about on land i would use  brno 452 rimfire or round farm  yards.410 or in buildings air pistols. I cant say i ever considered walking about much with a PCP if i wanted this i would probably go with the Crossman ratcatcher as you used.

at £40 i will try the SAK thanks.

24 minutes ago, B B said:

Good info, the SAK is about £40  thats £37 less than a A&M marksman, i might just gamble on a SAK and Drill out the end cap section.

I do no walking about with either of the PCps i have, Both are just rats off rests or off door rest i mount on fastened down with a bungee cord to the door bottom on the truck.    Any rabbits for the pot walking about on land i would use  brno 452 rimfire or round farm  yards.410 or in buildings air pistols. I cant say i ever considered walking about much with a PCP if i wanted this i would probably go with the Crossman ratcatcher as you used.

at £40 i will try the SAK thanks.

Hello, it works well on my Vermy and I have the fac one on my CZ 22, I do not think if you drill out the end cap from say 22 to 25 it will harm the silencer effect  and still work well, let us know how it goes 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 18:12, Ultrastu said:

Maybe your a bit deaf ? 

I mean that in a respectful manner .as my hearing isn't the best  either and often miss stuff my shooting mate can hear.

On 19/02/2023 at 18:12, Ultrastu said:

Maybe your a bit deaf ? 

I mean that in a respectful manner .as my hearing isn't the best  either and often miss stuff my shooting mate can hear.

Well if everything was as deaf as me, you wouldn't need a silencer😟

Update.  I bought a Hogan decimeter. For the .177.

Yes and it was quieter than the Weiruch , But still the unsilenced Rifle seemed accepted noisier but not a vast difference.

Could not carry on like this, Noisier a bit quieter terms like that were verging on comedy and about as vague in describing the effects these varrious moderators have on the noise.

So bought a DBA meeter, nothing major was £18 off ebay.

Waiting for it to come, and cold nights i spent a bit of time looking at varrious air gun Mods silencers tests on the internet and some showed a bare PCP clocking 90 to 100 DBAs and one test with several silencers had them all between about 88dba to the quietest being 78DBA.

It was near imposible given the vast aray of different recording gear used in these videos to draw much from the footage, But many had DBA readings i could sort of cross reference with to draw some sort of conclusion from my point of view.

The sound meeter came and i got started, I started with the rimfire, A 452 BRNO and some CCI subsonic ammo. My readings on three shots bare rifle were 103/ 101 and 99 DBA. with the vame moderator it was 91/ 88 and 88 DBA .

This i felt was about right, and even when cross referencing my readings with various youtube videos it seemed in the ball park is i feel appropriate terminology.

My own bench mark established, i moved on to the air gun silencers / moderators . the bare .177 was 90/ 89 and 90DBA, with the unknown original silencer, i got 85/84 and 83 DBA.  The Weiruch Produced 82/83 and 81 DBA the Kral was 84/ 84 and 85 DBA . Borowed a Huget silencer, that was 80/ 81 and 79 DBA And finaly the Hogan decimeeter was 78/ 77 and 76 DBA.

Now a few points observations and Thoughts based on all this.

Meeter 30 to 130 DBA and during all tests which were done on a cold bright still morning in an open field with a background noise of around 44DBa to around 55DBA with a pigeon calling in the distance.

I noticed i could tell when i was to get a lower reading audibly i believe i could tell the difference of about 2DBA, as for the real world Silencing as such, In my view The silencers start to work Once you get around 80 DBA if you get in the 70s i thin k your possibly on to something. but fealy you are regardless of air rifle silencer talking a span from late 70s DBA to late 80s DBA tops. Its that narrow of a sound range. seems to me the higher the DBA the less i could differentiate the sounds accurately .

One last thought, on a youtube video a well known air gun chap, did a test on some silencers and the A&M was the quietest on his meeter he got 78 DBA , i never tested a A&M but think they sound as good if not quieter than the Hogan , and judging from my readings i believe i might se 75DBA from an A&M . I think the youtuber might have had a bit better DBA meeter than me.

Not scientific but i did what i could do within my limited capabilitis to show what i feel about the whole concept of air rifle silencing.

Its there for you to draw your own conclusions from or not as the case may be.

Hello, good post BB, I am now looking at a silencer for the SMK XS 79 I converted to HPA, I tried the SAK that is on the FX Vermy and that was very good but without the meter you can only go on your hearing, mines not good, also the SAK is heavy, there a quite a few silencer makers on the AGF many with their own designs, all around £40/£50/£60, well I found a chap making 3 D type silencers, with a stated 50% noise reduction 🤔 , for a UNF 130 X 35 mm in 177 they are £20 plus £4 post, I think will give this a go and report back if any PW member interested,

The thing with the Decibel output from an airgun moderator is, as with all Decibel readings, that the actual sound difference between tests as BB above,,,, and many others before him,,,, is miniscule and not very discernible to the human ear.

Also, as has been pointed out on previous threads on this topic, the sound of the shot from the target position is where it really matters,,,, not right next to your ear.

That's my take and opinion on this 🙂

I once fired my HW100 with and without the moderator to show someone how good the performance was of the HW moderator. Without the mod it was extremely loud and shocked the other person as to how much the mod actually does its job 🤭😃

3 hours ago, JKD said:

The thing with the Decibel output from an airgun moderator is, as with all Decibel readings, that the actual sound difference between tests as BB above,,,, and many others before him,,,, is miniscule and not very discernible to the human ear.

Also, as has been pointed out on previous threads on this topic, the sound of the shot from the target position is where it really matters,,,, not right next to your ear.

That's my take and opinion on this 🙂

I once fired my HW100 with and without the moderator to show someone how good the performance was of the HW moderator. Without the mod it was extremely loud and shocked the other person as to how much the mod actually does its job 🤭😃

I can hear as i said differences of about 2DBa, its got to be when the background base line noise if you like is into the 30s once it gets 40+ its harder, and you need a open area the echo if you like reverberating around a empty yard or buildings even a woodside can send readings higher.

Strangely enough the Readings downrange at 20M are only a couple of DBAs lower and unlike say a full bore moderator that due to distance tends to make creatures very unsure as to the shooters location, the short ranges involved in air rifles leave anything in no doubt at all the direction of the shooters position.

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Thank you very much for posting this very informative  .

And if you want to  sell that meter now .I may be interested  .cheers  .

Keeping it for tests, and can use it for bikes stay sub 100DBA.

They are on sale right now from when i got mine gone down a quid or so. here is fleabay number for those interested. 204261574646

its a common type several selling them varrious prices.

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, good post BB, I am now looking at a silencer for the SMK XS 79 I converted to HPA, I tried the SAK that is on the FX Vermy and that was very good but without the meter you can only go on your hearing, mines not good, also the SAK is heavy, there a quite a few silencer makers on the AGF many with their own designs, all around £40/£50/£60, well I found a chap making 3 D type silencers, with a stated 50% noise reduction 🤔 , for a UNF 130 X 35 mm in 177 they are £20 plus £4 post, I think will give this a go and report back if any PW member interested,

The way the hogan is made the end cap will drill out for .25 easy its thickish too. I will just buy another hogan, its perhaps not as quiet as a A&M marksman, but its  close from what i saw on videos.

This ear splitting crack from PCPs I just dont get this at all.  its Like quieter than a subsonic rimfire with a say parker hale mod on it. 

And i am still not convinced it is of any decernable  advantage on killing animals either. it still makes a thud when you hit things thats over 100dba on a tin can, thus louder than an silenced air gun at the muzzle, with  air guns you are juggling with no more than 10DBa respectively.  the  rimfire probably twice that which is worth wile. but just not seeing more than 10DBA with air rifles. 

The DBA thing is really all you can go off with a credible measurement of efficiencey. The Oh my mod is quiet my results on rats crows whatever prove this etc sounds convincing but stands up to no scrutiny  has no relevance to efficiency of silencing.  The DBa meter might not be a perfect medium to assess a silencers efficiency but its certainly all i could think of put it that way.

19 hours ago, B B said:

The way the hogan is made the end cap will drill out for .25 easy its thickish too. I will just buy another hogan, its perhaps not as quiet as a A&M marksman, but its  close from what i saw on videos.

This ear splitting crack from PCPs I just dont get this at all.  its Like quieter than a subsonic rimfire with a say parker hale mod on it. 

And i am still not convinced it is of any decernable  advantage on killing animals either. it still makes a thud when you hit things thats over 100dba on a tin can, thus louder than an silenced air gun at the muzzle, with  air guns you are juggling with no more than 10DBa respectively.  the  rimfire probably twice that which is worth wile. but just not seeing more than 10DBA with air rifles. 

The DBA thing is really all you can go off with a credible measurement of efficiencey. The Oh my mod is quiet my results on rats crows whatever prove this etc sounds convincing but stands up to no scrutiny  has no relevance to efficiency of silencing.  The DBa meter might not be a perfect medium to assess a silencers efficiency but its certainly all i could think of put it that way.

Hello, I'm going to take a chance on that silencer for £20 , the seller who makes them said they reduce noise by 50% 🤔, his design of the internal looks well thought out, have a look on gunstar , silencer page heading 3 D half inch UNF 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I'm going to take a chance on that silencer for £20 , the seller who makes them said they reduce noise by 50% 🤔, his design of the internal looks well thought out, have a look on gunstar , silencer page heading 3 D half inch UNF 

I dont know £20 is not much but the money i spent just getting to the hogan was starting to get silly. I was lucky i got rid of the Kral and Kept the weiruch for my incredibly noisey crosman 2240 Now that thing really needs a silencer.

• 3 weeks later...