12G screw in Hushpower moderator

bandit man

Hi Guys 

as anyone tried the new screw in Hushpower moderator from Saddlery and gunroom as i'm considering buying a couple for myself and my lad for when we shoot pigeons not a million miles from the horse paddocks,although the horses don't seem too bothered but thought it would be a good gesture to the horsey people that don't like to hear gun noise 

i've spoken to the lad at Hushpower who can send these out to my RFD as they don't ship direct out to customers 

any feedback welcome 

Cheers AL

I have a  shortened one fitted to my 20b semi auto .it works .mine is 8 inches long I think and the standard one is 12 inches . It's not super duper quiet but it's good enough and means I don't have to wear ear protection , and doesn't ruin the balance /handling  too much that a big can on the End of your gun can do .these are best fitted to 24 or 26 inch barrels  .imo.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

The one I bought from them was that I had to fit an adaptor onto the barrel then attach the moderator to it. Not sure if it's same one that you are looking at. It does work though. And yes, I had to collect from my local RFD but didn't pay any extra.

Steve these are a new design that are fitted onto an extended choke of your choice so just screw on and off so theres no messing about altering the end of the rib 

You usually have to send your extended  choke into the shop so they can fix a mod onto it .they usually prefer to use a 3/4 or full choke so you avoid any shot clipping the end cap (consider this when maybe shooting steel ) 

I use a 1/2 choke in mine but as the end cap is closer and actually for a 12 b there is no chance of clipping  happening  .

My mate had a full length one on a 20 b hatsan sa. With 24 inch barrel it was very effective  .quiet .but it felt too long and muzzle heavy in my opinion  .that's why I went for a shortened one .

Also you may (will ) have to raise the cheek piece a bit to get the correct sight picture.

Which gun u thinking of putting it on ? 

It's going on a Beretta A300 Outlander and they can supply the choke,they recommend minimum of half choke and thats what i normally shoot pigeons with so was going to go with that but now you've got me thinking do i go tighter 

The lad at Hushpower did say that the half choke was the most popular though 🤔

Edited by bandit man

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I'd go with the 1/2 at least that way if you do have to shoot steel through it you can do safely  

Yes thats what i'm going to go with as we sometimes shoot steel for the pigeons that are going for Goshawk food 👍

These are a new version where the can is fitted onto a choke so you can add and remove by screwing it on or off 

i was a little confused myself so i rang them up to confirm that they screw on and off without doing anything to the rib or sight bead 

*New* Hushpower 12g Choke Moderator (for multichokes)
12g Detachable Hushpower© Choke Moderator 
£180.00
Suitable extended chokes available from £30.00 or supply your own Can be fitted to multichoke guns
(where extended chokes are avaliable)
Allows for easy installation or removal when needed
Alternative to permanent Hushpower solution
Still great noise reduction!

2 hours ago, bandit man said:

Yes thats what i'm going to go with as we sometimes shoot steel for the pigeons that are going for Goshawk food 👍

These are a new version where the can is fitted onto a choke so you can add and remove by screwing it on or off 

i was a little confused myself so i rang them up to confirm that they screw on and off without doing anything to the rib or sight bead 

Yeah I know how they work .my mate had the very first one as he helped saddlery and gun room develop the idea back in 2019 .

The one I have is a custom one that they fitted onto a barrel extension that I can actually change the choke on .so I can swap my chokes out as I please. But usually  stick with the 1/2 .

I had 3 internal  baffles and 4 inches removed from the standard 12 mod to make it shorter and lighter to improve handling. 

Later this year I'm having another  custom one made for a special gun thats on its way  this would be the 4th hushpower I've owned so far  . Saddlery and gun room are very accommodating and clever  chaps .highly recommended. 

T

4 hours ago, bandit man said:

Apologies  Ultrastu the second part of my answer was for Oldepigeonpopper question but some how the reply's merged into one 😖

I'm going to try it out and hopefully stick another one on my lads gun 👍

No worries .

As you can probably  tell I'm a fan of moderated shotguns . And the hushpower ones are great and saddlery and gunroom excellent to deal with . 

Though I have stopped short of having one on a 12b ,but that's only because  I have other options for quiet shooting .

Get one .the beauty  of the choke system  is that you can always shoot it without the mod when that seems a better option .

Though I have to say .Once you have a mod for a gun you won't shoot it without . Certainly  if you can hit what your aiming at .loud and violent is never as nice as quiet and smooth (yes they reduce recoil massively) .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

No worries .

As you can probably  tell I'm a fan of moderated shotguns . And the hushpower ones are great and saddlery and gunroom excellent to deal with . 

Though I have stopped short of having one on a 12b ,but that's only because  I have other options for quiet shooting .

Get one .the beauty  of the choke system  is that you can always shoot it without the mod when that seems a better option .

Though I have to say .Once you have a mod for a gun you won't shoot it without . Certainly  if you can hit what your aiming at .loud and violent is never as nice as quiet and smooth (yes they reduce recoil massively) .

Cheers for your input on this and yes i'm definitely going to order a couple for me and my lad 👍 

• 3 weeks later...

You will probably  find that you are shooting a bit low ,around 12 inches at 30 yds usually, which is enough to miss pigeons . I have stock sleeves on my guns this tends to bring the head up on the stock a bit correcting the low poi. Depending on the one u choose you can always put a bit of extra sponge /foam under the sleeve to raise the head a bit more . If you have an adjustable stock that's better of course . 

The subs will probably kill out to around 30 yds where after that the energy is failing too fast to make clean kills unreliable  . In my experience 

22 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

You will probably  find that you are shooting a bit low ,around 12 inches at 30 yds usually, which is enough to miss pigeons . I have stock sleeves on my guns this tends to bring the head up on the stock a bit correcting the low poi. Depending on the one u choose you can always put a bit of extra sponge /foam under the sleeve to raise the head a bit more . If you have an adjustable stock that's better of course . 

The subs will probably kill out to around 30 yds where after that the energy is failing too fast to make clean kills unreliable  . In my experience 

Cheers Mate i'll invest in a sleeve and adjust as needed i'll probably resist using the subs until i get to shoot near the paddocks under the big sitty tree 😁