Disappearing Pubs ?

marsh man

I'm from what was once called the brewery capital of the UK, but now home to just 2 brewery's Coors and Marstons (which was sold to Wolverhampton & Dudley then again to Carlseberg) 

Bass was the 1st ever Reg Trade mark in the world the red triangle was all over Burton, then Coors move in and there's nothing left at all. Marstons heritage centre was closed only months ago the home of the brewery since 1834. History removed from this once famous town like a pile of trash.

Mind you we have loads of coffee shops. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Mind you we have loads of coffee shops. 

The Lord Giveth and The Lord Taketh away!!!

Back in 1988/89 between the Army and the Air Force, I worked for Suttons Haulage on the Guiness Contract - Kegs would come up from London by Train to Edge Hill Fruit and Veg and be delivered around the North West and North Wales, our biggest deliveries were to Greenalls and Allied (Tetley) in Warrington. No sign of them nowadays.

Sometimes it was a 3.30am start, with me having to walk 3 miles to get picked up by they driver (I didn't have a car at the start) at Rainhill Stoops before hitting the motorway before heading up to the likes of the Lakes and Barrow and occasionally  Penrith.

Allied and Greenalls was great - first drop at 6.30am then into the cafe for dirt cheap breakfast. Greenalls later in the day had a pump room you could make use of if there was a delay in getting you unloaded :) You could go in anytime you want but back then I would only drink in the morning if carrying on from the night before....