IR question for NV

30-6

When viewing YouTube clips where an Alpex is used, the footage on some is 100% clear.

Mine is unlike that at all distances, can identify target but not crystal clear. Could it be :-

1. My eyesight ?

2. Because I only use £40 budget ir torches  ?

3. Because I like to set the ir low on variable intensity for fear of spooking quarry ?

Do high end ir or laser ir really make a difference. If so, what names should I be looking for ?

Hello, my friend has an Alpex and it has a very clear picture even at dusk without I/R , U tube videos might not show it in the best way, I gave him a TR 38 850 mn led torch and it is good to 200 yards, using a 940 mn led is suppose to be more covert but your not get the same distance, this all depends on how far your shooting, a laser I/R will give you a longer range , check out Simon's videos on here, I am sure he uses a laser that is around £150 but he shoots at very long distances, my friend 22.25 zero is 100 yards , what rifle are you using ?

Zeroed it 100 yds on a .223 and 16 yds on an air rifle so far. All my ir's 850 nm. Don't really warrant spending too much on a laser as don't shoot as much as I used to.

Have to try increasing the strength of the ir as like mentioned try to keep it on as low as I can for fear of spooking. Or try tightening the beam a bit tighter.

I'll have to go out when dark and try different settings to determine which is best for my shooting ranges, and play with the set up without looking at any quarry to distract me.

On 27/04/2023 at 19:26, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my friend has an Alpex and it has a very clear picture even at dusk without I/R , U tube videos might not show it in the best way, I gave him a TR 38 850 mn led torch and it is good to 200 yards, using a 940 mn led is suppose to be more covert but your not get the same distance, this all depends on how far your shooting, a laser I/R will give you a longer range , check out Simon's videos on here, I am sure he uses a laser that is around £150 but he shoots at very long distances, my friend 22.25 zero is 100 yards , what rifle are you using ?

Just to add, this coming winter ratting I shall be trying out a 940 I/R torch, something like a night fox brand,