ISO Tunes Ear Protection??

shootingmike

Anyone tried ISO Tunes hearing protection (electronic earbuds or earbuds on a cord)? I'm looking for something that allows ambient noise through for wildfowling / clay shooting but protects against the gun noise. Don't want to go the moulded route as a have strange small ear canals so can forsee problems with attempting to mould.

Wondered for a while if something like my AirPods Pro would work, where microphones allows external noise in, but then kick into the noise cancellation mode when the gun is fired.

Or any other brands? Can see Howard Leight do something similar, but hard to find outside the US.

Thinking corded might be a good option if wearing on the marsh.

After many years of wearing inferior ear defence (or even none at all), I am now deaf. I can assure you that you need to try and prevent this occurring to you, whatever the cost. I too have small and narrow ear canals, but over 20 years ago I bought the Emtech passive ear plugs. They have been, and still are superb. However, I am now at a stage whereby I need amplification to hear anything around me. I have bought a pair of Custom Fit Guards electronic ear defenders, fitted with their 'Ghetto Blaster' speakers. I have used them for 2 years with only 1 minor issue, which was fixed FOC, even though their warranty was out. I use them for most of my shooting, both game and clays. I can wear them all day, without issue. If I am shooting 'gun up' disciplines,  I still wear my Howard Leight cans. But for everything else it's the in ear variety.

The Peltor EEP-100's are very good ... I found them better than any muffs including the heavy duty Howard Leight electronic on loading days.

I use mine with the 'green' mini cens buds from Cleartone which I think are way better than the original options supplied (Isotunes sell something very similar) ... these buds have been going strong since I bought them a  couple of years ago, washed them twice in that time! 

I got the Peltors from Earshot Communications..... 

If you go onto the Stalking Directory and search for EEP-100's you'll find plenty of reviews and comparisons. 

Cheers

Fizz

8 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

The Peltor EEP-100's are very good ... I found them better than any muffs including the heavy duty Howard Leight electronic on loading days.

I use mine with the 'green' mini cens buds from Cleartone which I think are way better than the original options supplied (Isotunes sell something very similar) ... these buds have been going strong since I bought them a  couple of years ago, washed them twice in that time! 

I got the Peltors from Earshot Communications..... 

If you go onto the Stalking Directory and search for EEP-100's you'll find plenty of reviews and comparisons. 

Cheers

Fizz

Have you got a link to what you mean? I've got the peltors but don't find the buds great? I also have the uso tunes and fine them excellent. I listen to shooting podcasts while pigeon shooting which is great, I also find they stay in my ears well and sound quality is fine.

10 hours ago, shootingmike said:

Thanks guys, will take a look at the Peltors too.

@bigroomboy what podcasts do you listen too? Always looking for some decent shooting podcasts. Guns on pegs isn’t too bad, but mostly listen to American ones like ducks unlimited and Midwest flyways 

Orvis hunting and shooting pod cast mainly, some of the fieldsports channel ones. There used to be others but they died off. I mix in a bit of rue crime and facial ones from the BBC and other places.

I should add maybe it's my poor pigeon shooting skills that necessitate the podcasts to fill time between and pigeons!

22 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

Orvis hunting and shooting pod cast mainly, some of the fieldsports channel ones. There used to be others but they died off. I mix in a bit of rue crime and facial ones from the BBC and other places.

I should add maybe it's my poor pigeon shooting skills that necessitate the podcasts to fill time between and pigeons!

Thank for that, will take a look… 

53 minutes ago, Westley said:

I never said my hearing protection is better than any others, merely IF you are using 'in the ear' plugs, they can push wax deep into your ear canal. Mine did  !

Ah I get you. Thanks for the info! Not something I've had but I can see how that could be an issue. Is that not an issue with the moulded type then?

I bought my son some of the Iso tunes Caliber  buds at Christmas and I have had to use them  once when I forgot my own buds. I thought they were very good comfy to wear. Deadened the shot and all three levels of hearing on them worked well. I have the Peltor buds and I’d say the iso tunes are better with the rechargeable case  adding to the value. 

The main thing with any PPE is it needs to be comfortable to wear or you don't wear it as often or when you should. 

I found the molded plugs can be worn for hours without any discomfort, while the over ear create sweaty ears and can cause headaches over time.