Terrier's oral hygiene

Ok, off topic indeed but given a lot of forum members will be familiar with and / or own these dogs I'm after some advice. My jack russell bitch is now 9 but has always suffered with slightly offensive breath, part of which at least i need to take the blame for as I've probably not done enough to try and combat it. She and her son are house dogs and I really need to at least get her teeth properly cleaned and after that try and find some way of regularly cleaning them myself, if possible. The idea of this I realise might be nuts to some dog owners but there is a lot of sense to this. The animal will fare better in later life (possibly keeping more vet bills down), and my truck won't be infused with dog breath odour constantly, to boot. The query is, am I seriously looking at a bill for 500 quid to have her sedated and the aforementioned done, or is there some option of a heavy sedative as opposed to knocking her out completely to carry it out? That's how much I've been quoted

2 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

Ok, off topic indeed but given a lot of forum members will be familiar with and / or own these dogs I'm after some advice. My jack russell bitch is now 9 but has always suffered with slightly offensive breath, part of which at least i need to take the blame for as I've probably not done enough to try and combat it. She and her son are house dogs and I really need to at least get her teeth properly cleaned and after that try and find some way of regularly cleaning them myself, if possible. The idea of this I realise might be nuts to some dog owners but there is a lot of sense to this. The animal will fare better in later life (possibly keeping more vet bills down), and my truck won't be infused with dog breath odour constantly, to boot. The query is, am I seriously looking at a bill for 500 quid to have her sedated and the aforementioned done, or is there some option of a heavy sedative as opposed to knocking her out completely to carry it out? That's how much I've been quoted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProDen-Plaque-Off-Food-Supplement/dp/B0047VWPNI/ref=asc_df_B0047VWPNI/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309950281379&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11210673657944860349&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006663&hvtargid=pla-355097374921&th=1

This stuff really does work. A lot depends on how bad the plaque is on her teeth as to if it will loosen it. Once the plaque starts to loosen you can scrape it off with a finger nail. If its very bad you might have to pay the vet bill to give her a clean start and then carry on with this. Not had a dental on my lot in many years since I started adding this to their meals and I don't brush their teeth. If her teeth are not encrusted if might loosen the existing plaque without the vets help.

The last time I had a dental done on a dog the bill was £360 and that was many years ago. 

Edited by loriusgarrulus

On 12/05/2023 at 18:44, Acerforestry said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-Calculus-Remover-Stainless-Hygiene/dp/B07NMZ64VW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1MFY840IK0TAP&keywords=dog%2Bdental%2Bscraper%2Btool&qid=1684070728&sprefix=Dog%2Bdental%2Bscraper%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-5&th=1

One of these dog dental scrapers is worth having too. I used to have a mini pinscher that despite the Plaque Off used to get plaque on his back molars. The molars with the dip in the middle used to get plaque in it. This helped remove it, but you have to have a dog that is docile about being handled or you have habituated to having his mouth checked and having things done with. It would also be useful to help remove plaque that has been loosened with the Plaque Off.