Brown trout

Dave at kelton

With a little more time to please myself my ambition this year was to catch some wild brown trout on the Annan. I have had a couple of exploratory trips i.e. blanks and tried another part of the 8 miles of beats I have on my ticket. It was cool first thing so I ventured out a little later than planned when I hoped there may be a hatch as the temperature warmed. I tried a few areas underneath trees without success and then found a short stretch where the odd fish was rising. I popped a dry ginger pheasant tail on the point and partridge and orange on the dropper to sink the line to the fly. Working slowly across the current I finally dropped the fly into the slack water under the far bank and wallop a big take, a flick of a strike, and the fish was on. I thought it was quite small at first but realised it was better than that when it hit the current in the centre of the river and just held. I was nervous of bullying it on light tackle but eventually got it to the the slack water at my feet and into the net. The fly was firmly in the scissors so well hooked. Not the biggest of Annan browns but conservatively a pound and a half; good enough for my first fish. I am so fortunate to have this river so close to home. Not the best photo but I didn’t want to handle it before release. I tried casting to a few other cruising fish but couldn’t rise them. A lovely few hours though.

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

Hello, nice one Dave, river to 👍

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Nice fish and a good way to spend time. 
I haven’t fished of any type for years, not since my kids were very little. They used to love watching me clean out the fish in the sink to see what they’d been eating. Happy days. 

Hello, not to late to start again 👍

2 hours ago, Scully said:

You’re right of course, I just seem to be busy doing all other manner of things. 
I still have a Greys rod and all the gear, just not the time. 

Hello, that's a shame, wish there was river like photo near me 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

51 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, that's a shame, wish there was river like photo near me 🙄🙄🙄

We have the Eden locally, which has some stunning scenery, and just down the road is the Lune on which a couple of mates fish for Salmon and Sea Trout.