Repeat Request

Following  Bunny_Blasters return to the UK his farmer contacted him regarding my previous visit asking could he shoot on Tuesday as the birds were still on his seeded pasture. As he was at work he asked if I could step up and attend on his behalf, not one to refuse an excuse to shoot I agreed before the words came down the phone. His only stipulation was that he had a request for ten to fifteen carrion crows.

I arrived at the field at approx 09.00 and it had a nucleus of approx 100 corvids all bunched in the centre of the field, the wind was a cold north-easterly so I set up at the far end of the field with the wind coming over my right shoulder. As we had a few pigeons flighting the field but no alighting I put out six thawed birds on spikes and twelve corvids to my right into the wind and waited. The corvids came back quiet quickly and I lost a good number to the field behind me which was tall meadow grass but not my permission with a footpath running behind my hide.

The pigeon frequency increased but they would not decoy but followed the tree line down the edges of the field. As this is Bens shoot I did not target the birds but concentrated on the corvids.

Ben popped in to see me after work and collected the requested carrions , I’d managed to get the 15 his customer had requested. At this point the amount of pigeons increased flying over the field and he went off to investigate the local area ,I settled back in the hide but the number of birds reduced just as if they had been lifted off one field and they had now returned. I packed up at 17.00 with the total for the day being seventyfive corvids ( including the 15 BB took) six woodpigeons. Thanks to Ben for another interesting days shooting.

100_3656.JPG

After a long day you still look remarkably fresh and you put my 3 / 4 hours to shame , now they have started cutting the grass down the marsh for Winter feed the Rooks and Crows are now down on the cut land eating the Leather jackets and any other insects that they come across so now there are very few on the uplands , I recon the request for 15 Crows are like another member said to be used as deterrents , these are normally hung upside down and pegged out around the field to deter other Crows ending up like the ones that are hung up .