410 silenced

ladyjack

Are the 410 silenced/shrouded any good, have to shoot birds around farm yard,farmer doesn't want me to use 12 bore for noise around rented cottages, are they very loud and any good, thanks for any advice, PS if anyone has one for sale let me know, not bothered about condition 

I have used my 410 around my house (without a moderator) and the neigbours were not aware I was using it when I pologised they said "what noise"

Obviously 410 has a smaller pattern with less pellets but very usable and solid at 25-35 yards and you could stretch that a bit I've shot clays at much more

Adding a moderator and using sub sonic cartridges should be no drama at all

I bought a Norica 3 shot bolt and a scruffy single shot 410 hammer gun precisely to add a moderator to for that purpose but never got the moderator

D

I shoot a lot - our probably every day

I got a moderated 410 and found it very hard work really - especially for the noise reduction achieved compared to my moderated 12

I was shooting squirrels and it did not cut the mustard for me anyway 

The only thing i did like was the weight of it 

Just now, Downforce said:

Just out of interest were you using subs?

To start with yes - but because - in my experience - they were so rubbish i moved to the normal stuff - which honestly for me - was not much better

In fairness i do lots of shooting over and around feeders - and the 12 just hammers them through and around the metal or block stands - The 410 not so much - or not at all actually 

Interesting

I found that you need to hit the (vermin) with the middle of the pattern and it drops like a rock

I was closer maybe 10-15 yards though but adequate much further

I shot a milk jug full of water at about 20 yards and it went straight through the front the water and out the back so it definitely has the power if its not too far

D

1 hour ago, ladyjack said:

Are the 410 silenced/shrouded any good, have to shoot birds around farm yard,farmer doesn't want me to use 12 bore for noise around rented cottages, are they very loud and any good, thanks for any advice, PS if anyone has one for sale let me know, not bothered about condition 

Are you interested in my single shot to try it out without a silencer?

You can have it for peanuts (like £25) as it is a bit rough and I can throw in a box of cartridges

That way you get to try it and see if its viable before commiting decent money

D

In my experience  .

That's with a fair few .410s  silenced and not .

There is a big difference between guns and cartridges .

If your expecting .12b range and power .forget  .410 .but if you are happy to take birds up to around 30 yds then .410 can work .

First off  the mossberg pumpers have ported shrouded barrels. These tend to Rob the cartridge  of some of the power its got  maybe up to around 20 % ? That's a lot and reduces range accordingly. 

A normal 28 inch barrel on a ou. Will produce way more power  cart for cart .

The baikal  hushpowers are like the mossbergs .low on power but obviously  quieter .

Now cartridge choice .

Choose a 3 inch magnum  18 /19 grm cartridge  from Hull. Gamebore  nsi etc and they are louder and kill well .compared to a 2.5 inch 14 grm cartridge  from say eley or layvale .

Personally .having had most offerings in the past .I've settled on a single shot yildiz folder single barrel with an add on moderator  .this gives me plenty of puch with magnum carts (kills at 40 yds are common ) but I can choose a smaller 2.5 inch 14 grm cartridge   if I want quieter  with a bit less range say 25 yds .

The mossberg pumpers / baikal  ported barrel  will shred any plaswads  leaving it in the silencer .(not good )  

Plaswad .410 carts tend to perform best  in terms of kills and range .

Finally .if we ever get the chance /forced  to shoot steel  from a .410 then a ported barrel could become down right dangerous ,and isn't something I would be holding let alone give to my kids to shoot .

Thoughts for the near future ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2023 at 10:19, Downforce said:

Interesting

I found that you need to hit the (vermin) with the middle of the pattern and it drops like a rock

I was closer maybe 10-15 yards though but adequate much further

I shot a milk jug full of water at about 20 yards and it went straight through the front the water and out the back so it definitely has the power if its not too far

D

Are you interested in my single shot to try it out without a silencer?

You can have it for peanuts (like £25) as it is a bit rough and I can throw in a box of cartridges

That way you get to try it and see if its viable before commiting decent money

D

Were about are you mate,and have you any photos, just seen your post, thanks 

5 hours ago, ladyjack said:

Were about are you mate,and have you any photos, just seen your post, thanks 

Well that’s the baddest timing of all time 

On Sunday I was in North Yorkshire picking up an O/U but normally I’m in Hertfordshire 

D

On 28/06/2023 at 17:56, Downforce said:

Well that’s the baddest timing of all time 

On Sunday I was in North Yorkshire picking up an O/U but normally I’m in Hertfordshire 

D

Thats a shame I could of met up, what o/u did you get ive 2 iam thinking of selling