A Late Report

One of our farmers contacted me to say he had seen lots of birds on his peas , now I had looked at these last week and fifty percent were doves. My normal shooting pal DB had also been watching it so we decided to have a go at the weekend. As this crop cover seven fields it was decided to split and keep the birds on the move.

So Saturday came and we were all set up to have a go when the farmer contacted me to say that his nephew had contacted him to shoot the peas with his mate!!.Fair Play to the farmer he had contacted me as he did not want this additional shooting to affect our plans. We had arranged to meet at midday and decide our plans. DB contacted me to say that work had asked him to come in as they had a concern and could he sort it, he would be an hour late so he told me to set up and  he would find the birds when he came.

I set up using my trolley und a an oak tree in the field with the wind from my back , so it was cool in the heat. I used twelve real birds that have been in and out of the freezer for four sessions. I put these out in the peas with spikes and waited. I watched at least a dozen birds cross the field not taking any interest in my decoys so I walked back to the Disco and picked up my frames. This put the decoys above the peas and straight away I had customers. I’d set up at 13.00 and the first two hours I had multiple groups of birds come to the decoys only being able to shoot two at best. DB arrived at 16.00 not happy, he roamed the other fields and found no groups to set up for. I think the other shooter had spooked all the birds my way. I offered to share the hide but he had a couple of shots and agreed to set up on the closest field to mine and give it an hour , in that time he had one bird.

As it got towards 17.00 I would have a few birds come in then ten minutes of nothing . I continued shooting until 20.30.

I packed all away and loaded my trolley and proceeded back to the Disco I had picked up 87 birds, some of which had clover and barley in them so I must keep looking.

100_3661.JPG

Great report and always better late than never , you are certainly getting back to your ole self and like Muncher have just achieved, a ton at Pigeons solo will be coming along your way very shortly .

Dead Pigeons used for decoys don't last forever and you haven't done to bad in using them four times , I take 27 out of my freezer every two weeks to supply the local pub , I pick out the best 25 and the other two I use for decoys over the next two weeks until I take out the same amount again , these two go in and out of the freezer like a yo yo and time they go for Fox bait they are well past the sell by date.

I did say once to Motty I believe that cradles this time of the year are the most important bit of kit amongst the decoying set up , after the decoys of course , with shell ones you can if you are careful set them up on top of the plants but with full body ones they normally have a habit of falling off , or falling through the plant , this is when the cradle is worth it's weight in gold , I make mine out of ole fenceing wire and you can make them longer if required , I have even taped them to Bambo canes and stuck them in standing barley or wheat  on the edge of laid patches , can be very effective with the minimum weight and above all cost .    MM