laid wheat

mossy835

21 hours ago, jall25 said:

Nice 

Up here Mossy its all young ones 

Very strange , around here they are far and few , haven't had one for nearly a month now , at one time the rape and wheat stubbles would produce the most , I have been to the game dealers where they would find around one in ten young ones and you got less money for them , on the other hand another game dealer used to pay the same as he had a market for young pigeons .

8 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Only had 5 young birds so far unusual for this time of year, good result for you.

Yes around here they are also very thin on the ground , why this should be , I have no idea .

Well done Mossy for making the most of the opportunties .

Edited by marsh man

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Very strange , around here they are far and few , haven't had one for nearly a month now , at one time the rape and wheat stubbles would produce the most , I have been to the game dealers where they would find around one in ten young ones and you got less money for them , on the other hand another game dealer used to pay the same as he had a market for young pigeons .

Yes around here they are also very thin on the ground , why this should be , I have no idea .

Well done Mossy for making the most of the opportunties .

I honestly have never seen so many pigeon about over here marsh man - in fairness not just pigeon but flocks of sparrows and goldfinches and brood after broods of pheasants - and the barley is only just coming off 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

I honestly have never seen so many pigeon about over here marsh man - in fairness not just pigeon but flocks of sparrows and goldfinches and brood after broods of pheasants - and the barley is only just coming off 

The last decent bag I saw was a couple of weeks ago when the keeper and his boy went on some fresh barley stubble and they got 36 , he laid them out so his boy who is 12 had his photo taken and not one was a young one , this is not to say we haven't got any but at the moment there isn't many going into the bag .