Which break barrel rifle?

J Fallon

After days and weeks of internet literature and video material I've decided to ask here as well. 

Which break barrel air rifle would you recommend for beginner aiming to achieve 50m (and little above) targets with time. 

If you'd have a matching scope and pellet in mind please feel free to mention here as well.

Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

50m plus is quite a way with a sub 12ft/lb airgun especially a break barrel but by no means impossible. 

In my opinion it will come down to a Weihrauch HW95k or better still a HW98 (I shoot my 95 out to 60yards at spinners and tin cans and the like no problem).

I've heard Walthers can be good but also have quality issues, but I've never used one myself. Diana's may be the only other option.

Over all I'd highly recommend the Weihrauch hw95/98 for what you want it for 👍

On 22/08/2023 at 21:31, J Fallon said:

After days and weeks of internet literature and video material I've decided to ask here as well. 

Which break barrel air rifle would you recommend for beginner aiming to achieve 50m (and little above) targets with time. 

If you'd have a matching scope and pellet in mind please feel free to mention here as well.

Much appreciated.

Regarding scopes and pellets. Weihrauch's were developed to shoot H&N Field Target Trophy so shoot them brilliantly.but JSB diablos are a good all rounder otherwise.

Scopes, Hawke is always a safe bet but I've recently got a Vector Veyron and am very impressed for the price.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Biffo1262 said:

The Air Arms TX200 also fits the bill and if you can find anyone prepared to part with an Air Arms Prosport (good luck with that one) then snatch their hands off.

They are both underleavers.

The only break barrel that works at that level is the HW98 if one is a beginner I would have thought, and then on bags/supported.  If you want a dedicated target rifle, then there are much more underleavers out there to choose from; the two rifles above plus the HW97 and 77.  

Again I'd echo JSB pellets and a Hawke Panorama or similar range optic.  Cheap Hawkes are pretty poor IMHO, no worse that other cheap scopes, but Airmax are decent.  You don't need more than a variable 40mm objective.  

I have a  bsa lightening  in .177 that is very accurate and I often shoot it at50 yds plus on targets  tin cans  spinners etc .but I readily accept that this gun is the exception and not the rule when it comes to lightenings the newer ones seems to have also sorts of quality issues . But no doubt if you find a good one it will do it .

I'm not sure the above is a recommendation more of an observation  .

Ps I don't rate the hw 98 personally .but that is after a poor experience  many years ago .

I'd look at the new hw 57  under lever personally .in .177 

Edited by Ultrastu