Game Gun

chrislightning

7 hours ago, Fellside said:

Good points re minimising suffering. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is picking up wounded quarry quickly. I find this to be extremely important to prevent unnecessary suffering. It is for this reason I always pick up flighted ducks as they’re shot and not at the end of the session. It also helps if pickers-up on driven shoots are placed well back where the pricked birds plane in, rather than just behind the guns. The dead stuff lying behind the guns can wait till last. There are many other examples, but essentially it’s important to pick up quickly with a good experienced dog and a handler that lets their dog work.

I appreciate this is digressing from the OPs original question….so…..guns and cartridges for high stuff: for me this would be a 12 gauge O/U with 32 grams of UK 5 shot. For more ordinary birds: just about anything the user feels happy with, but UK 6s seem to work well. However, I’m sure there are as many opinions as there are shotgunners. 

Chris, with the highlighted bit in mind, have you made a decision yet?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Fellside said:

No, no you can’t rush things! There needs to be much more prevarication and vaguely related chat……😄 These are the interesting bits. 

:lol:

I reckon the next 'interesting bits' will be in Bullets and Cartridges and the Flitestopper and Flitecontrol with thanks to Federal.

Whatever bloody next will they send us?

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

Chris, with the highlighted bit in mind, have you made a decision yet?

As it stand I have had transferred the Cole Brothers and Denton and Kennel onto my license. Stuck them both into the gunsmith for a once over… everything looks good. Need to have them fitted mind. 

I’ll be ordering some Titanium flush chokes for the XS Pro. I should at this point probably be sorted…. Assuming I don’t get tempted by anything for my Birthday that is.