Thoughts on the BSA Defiant?

Cal50

I'm looking at purchasing a BSA Defiant. Never shot one but I'm a fan of the other BSA line up.

They however seem to be not in very high demand. Is there anything particularly wrong with them? Why are they not as popular as there Ultra or R10 line up? I'd be looking S/H. Thanks

Personal choice. I'm a big fan of bsa, love my r10se, but the defiant just looks weird to me. its very tall and not that short-1" less than an ultra se or ultra clx ( i know its got an integrated silencer),  and a lot heavier. Then there is the price. Bigger shot count than the ultra's but thats about it.

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do a search on the AGF forum, a well know air rifle service chap did not like them 🤔??, they are not selling well as bsa hoped, is it a bullpup your after ?

Hello, I never thought I would get on with a bullpup but my P15 is spot on 👍i did have an old R10 and that was a good rifle but got to heavy , the P15 is only 5.5 llb

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do a search on the AGF forum, a well know air rifle service chap did not like them 🤔??, they are not selling well as bsa hoped, is it a bullpup your after ?

Not particularly a bullpup. I'm aware they're over priced but one has come up cheapish so I was considering getting it as part of the collection. I prefer short and would like a side lever.

Is there anything mechanically an issue with them?

33 minutes ago, stu64 said:

Personal choice. I'm a big fan of bsa, love my r10se, but the defiant just looks weird to me. its very tall and not that short-1" less than an ultra se or ultra clx ( i know its got an integrated silencer),  and a lot heavier. Then there is the price. Bigger shot count than the ultra's but thats about it.

Yes definitely overpriced, ones come up reasonable with a decent scope which makes it more appealing to me 🤔

So I'm a big bsa fan .and badgered bsa to make a bullpup for years .then they eventually  released the defiant . And I feel they got it wrong ..

It's very heavy. It's a bit too much gamo  instead of bsa .in the breach  area . It makes a farty sound on firing which indicates a lot of hammer bounce and wasted air (lower shot count than it should have  - gamo pcp again ) 

Trigger doesn't feel too great either .

I played with a sh .one I found in a shop last month and was reminded of all the above again . I also had a play with a gamo boxer  which is supposed to be a poor cousin of the defiant .  It certainly  was .the trigger felt like that of a £90 Chinese  plastic  springer . Horrible .

Anyway disappointed  with the definat .I made my own bsa bullpup from a scorpion  t10 which I feel worked out very well indeed  .my son uses it for hunting  and targets .it's very short and light, accurate  and gives 60 shots in .177 . 

20 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So I'm a big bsa fan .and badgered bsa to make a bullpup for years .then they eventually  released the defiant . And I feel they got it wrong ..

It's very heavy. It's a bit too much gamo  instead of bsa .in the breach  area . It makes a farty sound on firing which indicates a lot of hammer bounce and wasted air (lower shot count than it should have  - gamo pcp again ) 

I played with a sh .one I found in a shop last month and was reminded of all the above again . I also had a play with a gamo boxer  which is supposed to be a poor cousin of the defiant .  It certainly  was .the trigger felt like that of a £90 Chinese  plastic  springer . Horrible .

Anyway disappointed  with the definat .I made my own bsa bullpup from a scorpion  t10 which I feel worked out very well indeed  .my son uses it for hunting  and targets .it's very short and light, accurate  and gives 60 shots in .177 . 

Ok thanks for your feadback, it clarifies a lot 👍

42 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

What price would you (or anybody else reading) say is fair for one?

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what scope ?? , the rifle is about a £1000

Hello, if your really keen to buy it and the scope is a good one I would think about getting a blue print service by John bowkett , he has a Facebook page

7 hours ago, Muzzie said:

Where are you based and where is the gun based...we maybe looking at the same rifle. 

I was after the gold star but I was too late and the defiant caught my eye but I'm resigned to finding a gold star. 

It's the one on in Loughborough. Probably less desirable aswell as it's in 22. The Gold star is a lovely rifle.

Bull pups and .22 cal isn't often a great combination .depending on the type of shooting your doing . But at general .22 ranges from say 5 to 30 yds  the high scope hight  tends to make for difficult   shot placement  and require precise  range estimation and a good knowledge  of your trajectory/  reticle  .

A .177 is a lot easier in this regard .

11 hours ago, Cal50 said:

It's the one on in Loughborough. Probably less desirable as well as it's in 22. The Gold star is a lovely rifle.

Hello, what RFD ? or the one on gun star ? The scope I put at £60/£80 depending on what model, Vantage etc  so for about £380 for rifle it's not a bad deal if as ad states in good condition and working order, I would still recommend John bowkett blue print,

9 hours ago, Cal50 said:

It's the one on in Loughborough. Probably less desirable aswell as it's in 22. The Gold star is a lovely rifle.

Yep..same rifle..the goldstar went on Sunday..£500 plus scope..My problem with gunstar is you can't check on the seller..I'm sure in the past you could..and freeads..that was a brilliant site for air guns.