new permission

tignme

Same set up as most crops in terms of decoys , flappers or whirly's 

they hammer it when it's coming up & eat the green tops this then stunts the growth of the crop or kills it completely once its well established they seem to leave it alone until its cut that's what I've found I've only shot over it a couple times myself. 

8 hours ago, tignme said:

a new permission has osr. ive only shot this crop twce in 50 yrs. i need information on decoying for woodies.

when and at what stages in growth. thx.

Usually they start hitting it beginning of December when it's getting cold and other food sources are scarce . You can Usually see where they have been hammering it sometimes its eaten right down to the nub. If its a large area of rape bangers come in handy to keep them moving. There flocked up in winter so there used to seeing large numbers feeding so plenty of decoys gives them more confidence thats what works for me and I've always done well with a magent/whirly on rape good luck 👍.

21 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Same set up as most crops in terms of decoys , flappers or whirly's 

they hammer it when it's coming up & eat the green tops this then stunts the growth of the crop or kills it completely once its well established they seem to leave it alone until its cut that's what I've found I've only shot over it a couple times myself. 

never seen a field of rape killed from pigeons grazing it and I have seen some fields that look like someone as run a mower over it, the big problem is when the crop starts to heart-up in spring.

One odd method I found gave me some bonus birds:

Leave the dog home.

Find an area thats been flattened for whatever reason into the field itself, sit on the floor with a little bit of overhead cover, or not if a lot of birds, shoot as they pass over. Good for an hour or so or untill the cramps get you.