Yes they are on the rape

kitchrat

Friday I saw a couple of 100 on rape, on a farm that was mullered last year. They were a bit up and down but worth a try on Sunday (beating/shooting on Saturday)

I made 2 mistakes! 1 -huge)Set up in drizzle, so took no sun glasses. Sun came out 100%, full in face, with the swirling wind made it V challenging 2) took less than 100 cartridges from the truck -long walk. Difficult shooting into the sun and with them swirling in the brisk wind (turbulence from the hedge I was using as cover?) meant I had only hit perhaps 45 as I ran out of ammo. Luckily my pal came to join me, with ammo and we shot a load more. Picked up 75, with those we lost in the crop, must have killed nearly 100.

6 weeks earlier than they hit this farm last year but no acorns about. Or is that they were "imprinted" or taught to use this farm by their parents? - most birds killed were young and stupid. Decoyed well.

15 hours ago, kitchrat said:

Friday I saw a couple of 100 on rape, on a farm that was mullered last year. They were a bit up and down but worth a try on Sunday (beating/shooting on Saturday)

I made 2 mistakes! 1 -huge)Set up in drizzle, so took no sun glasses. Sun came out 100%, full in face, with the swirling wind made it V challenging 2) took less than 100 cartridges from the truck -long walk. Difficult shooting into the sun and with them swirling in the brisk wind (turbulence from the hedge I was using as cover?) meant I had only hit perhaps 45 as I ran out of ammo. Luckily my pal came to join me, with ammo and we shot a load more. Picked up 75, with those we lost in the crop, must have killed nearly 100.

6 weeks earlier than they hit this farm last year but no acorns about. Or is that they were "imprinted" or taught to use this farm by their parents? - most birds killed were young and stupid. Decoyed well.

Yes be interesting where you are - in Derbyshire we are thronged with acorns 

On 06/11/2023 at 07:38, jall25 said:

Yes be interesting where you are - in Derbyshire we are thronged with acorns 

Sorry chaps, thought my profile showed it. I'm near Braintree, in Essex. NB They were mainly young stupid birds, although I had seen them on the rape I suspect some of them would have decoyed into Tesco carpark. Easier setup!!