A heads up.

Scully

On 10/11/2023 at 21:19, Scully said:

I don’t have a great lot to say about this apart from…..if you’re in the market for a new Browning Crown, check that it is proofed for HP steel if it matters to you. 
A relatives wasn’t, and it’s a lot of cash for a ‘lead only’ shotgun given the way things are heading. 
His is now proofed for HP steel, thereby proving he needn’t have had it done! 🙂

Premier guns on YouTube just released video of this ☝️Lady giving the gun once over 🧐

40 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Fair enough LB Can I ask why ?

Certainly Sir. 
I think multi chokes are an unnecessary gimmick. A very clever move by the gun trade to sell stuff to gullible people. 
And they are just something else to go wrong.

I cannot understand shotgunners obsession with chokes (particularly on PW) Forget about what choke the gun may carry and just get on with it! 

From personal experience:
I find that a choke tighter than quarter is hardly ever necessary.
I think too much choke is a serious handicap to a wing shooter. 
Yes, it will give you a little extra range, but not nearly so much as most seem to think. 
A shot is either ‘on’ or it is too far.
I don’t believe there is a man alive who can look at a flying bird and say, “that is too far for a quarter choke but a half or five eights should do it.”  Many, however, are happy to spout such rubbish to anyone who will listen.
But there are so many shots which would be missed by a full choke which would be brought down with an improved cylinder. 

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes, it will give you a little extra range, but not nearly so much as most seem to think. 
I don’t believe there is a man alive who can look at a flying bird and say, “that is too far for a quarter choke but a half or five eights should do it.”  Many, however, are happy to spout such rubbish to anyone who will listen.
But there are so many shots which would be missed by a full choke which would be brought down with an improved cylinder. 

I would agree.

One of the difficulties is that for reasons I'm not clear on, things (e.g. a pheasant) 'look' larger at 30 yards at ground level that 30 yards in the air.  It is apparently an illusion that also applies to the moon when seen near the horizon, or high in the sky. 

https://science.nasa.gov/earth/moon/the-moon-illusion-why-does-the-moon-look-so-big-sometimes/

It is very difficult to judge distance - and more so when high in the sky as there is no 'reference' to go by.

I have to own up to having one gun with multichokes (my excuse is that it was second hand and came like that).  I have never changed the chokes (but do remove and clean them) and without looking, I can't remember what is in there except it is two from IC, 1/4 and 1/2.  Since I have two of some sizes and one of other sizes, I can't tell from looking what's in the storage box!

I once did an experiment with a friend once and we measured the range of a clay he thought was about the limit he could regularly break (he is a very a good shot and had full chokes in) - it was around 80 yards - and he could break it near enough every time (normal clays cartridge which I guess was 7 1/2), but it looked a very distant bird.

The other problem with tight chokes for game shooting is that they can render the bird 'uneatable' at the normal ranges at which birds are shot on many shoots.

20 minutes ago, London Best said:

Certainly Sir. 
I think multi chokes are an unnecessary gimmick. A very clever move by the gun trade to sell stuff to gullible people. 
And they are just something else to go wrong.

I cannot understand shotgunners obsession with chokes (particularly on PW) Forget about what choke the gun may carry and just get on with it! 

Thanks LB There’s not much of that post I can disagree With well spoken 👍