Mini stick welder

Dave-G

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/11/2023 at 23:41, Dave-G said:

I've noticed warm rods spark up better than new one's.

When using portable welders in the Army we had a "pie" box in the generator which was where you kept your rods and the occasional NAAFI pie, this box was kept warm so your rods didn't absorb any moisture while welding, you can place them on a radiator for a while to get the same effect, as ditcy has said , run on and off plates always a good idea.

And i would get a little book, write down all the information for each weld that works, metal size ,rods used, setting on machine, always handy.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

When using portable welders in the Army we had a "pie" box in the generator which was where you kept your rods and the occasional NAAFI pie, this box was kept warm so your rods didn't absorb any moisture while welding, you can place them on a radiator for a while to get the same effect, as ditcy has said , run on and off plates always a good idea.

And i would get a little book, write down all the information for each weld that works, metal size ,rods used, setting on machine, always handy.

That's very interesting - I keep a few rods in the bottom of our oven which gets used daily.

I'm slightly dyslexic and don't manage to always say what i think I'm saying.:huh:

I'll try again: when I use a new (pre dried out) rod at low amps it doesn't arc up cleanly and keeps sticking, spoiling the job. I found i had to try in another area first by dragging the rod until it would do what I wanted before returning to the weld area. Every time I changed rods I had the same issue. Using rods I'd cut in half only left me less than half a rod for the job. I eventually stopped cutting the rods and hold a full rod about half way along rather than the electrode holder/torch

I'm thinking it might be an idea to increase the hot start percentage feature which is preset at 30%.

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, do you reckon the hot start helps Dave, arc welders have come on since the heavy oil cooled jobbies

I think they are a very big game changer in my very limited experience.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Dave, what welder did you buy again and where did you buy, there is a chap looking to weld his 110 chassis, did your welder go ok and the welds ??

MMA 140A Inverter DC Welder ARC Stick Portable Welding Machine KIT + ELECTRODES

I bought it at Black friday prices with about 50% off - so expect to pay about £100 unless you can find a deal. I can't find a link to one ATM.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

MMA 140A Inverter DC Welder ARC Stick Portable Welding Machine KIT + ELECTRODES

I bought it at Black friday prices with about 50% off - so expect to pay about £100 unless you can find a deal. I can't find a link to one ATM.

Hello Dave, if the B and Q one i gave details to another 110 owner, i am on the UK mig welding forum DIY Guide, which covers all welding and Engineering, cheers