Turning Custom Duck & Game Calls

Shambam1962

My shooting mate and his wife living in Haverfordwest , called this morning to collect an acrylic pen I had made for her, and gave me an early Christmas present book.

The book Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls is a very interesting and informative book with detailed guides and drawings, showing how to turn custom duck and goose calls.

The techniques used are very similar to the process of making and turning pens on a mandrel.

This book has got me thinking, and wet my appetite to have a go at making a turned wooden duck or goose call, which will not only look nice but most importantly having the correct tuned sound.

I have a couple of walking sticks and acrylic pens to complete first over the next few weeks, but I will definitely attempt having a go at making a turned wooden call in the New Year and will post the progress and photos later on.

Have any PW members, tried making turned wooden duck or goose calls, and what problems did you have ?

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

Thank you oldypigeonpopper for your kind words, it’s very much appreciated.

In the book it shows the person using a sound board jig, which will cut multiple reeds to the exact same size.

The jig is aluminium and shaped to the required duck call you require.

You place the drilled dowel into the jig and cut to the shape and add the acrylic reed and stopper to make the finished item.

I’m looking at the moment to see what is available, and lots of information available on American sites.

Mine when completed may sound like a jazz band Gazoo.

IMG_1911.png

IMG_1913.png

I spent most of last night watching videos on YouTube of guys making various different duck calls in America.

I was going to have a go at making one in the New Year, but found a piece of wood in the shed this afternoon, and had a go at making a duck call.

At the moment it’s not completed and still have a few bits to do, and have sorted out how to make a sound board jig for making the reed.

The duck call is nothing fancy, but I didn’t want to ruin a nice piece of wood by making a mistake on it.

Luckily, it all worked fine, and is fairly straightforward to make.

I will order a few pieces of Cocobola  wood after Christmas and try something a bit different and laminate the wood to make a nicer looking call.

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

The call was made out of a piece of scrap Oak to try out.

This was my learning piece, and didn’t encounter any problems, which is good.

I have just contacted a company to make me a few stainless steel bushes, which will fit on my pen turning mandrel, and will replicate the calls easily, to size.

Just like the technique used for making pens.

I have plenty of Oak offcuts, so it didn’t matter if I made a mistake.

The next ones will be Cocobolo wood, which is not cheap to buy, but supposedly very good for making calls.

TIGHTCHOKE may possibly have some bigger light pulls yet, or maybe a whistling pen !

Who knows  what will happen in the New Year !

This is my sound board jig for making the  sound board and reed.

I have been searching websites to find out information regarding the size for making the board and reed, and finally found the information required.

I made this jig out of Oak as I wanted to complete the call.

This one is only temporary, and I will make a steel one after the holidays, and it will  be hard wearing and last for years.

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

IMG_1959.jpeg

Found crow call dimensions today on a website and printed them off and made a crow call.

This site sells the crow call inserts for the barrel dimensions, but I had to watch a YouTube video to work out the makeup of the mouthpiece.

Not quite finished yet and have to fine tune the call pitch and sand the groove to alter the sound, but pleased with my first crow call.

A bit more sanding and sealer, before polishing with wax tomorrow.

IMG_1978.png

IMG_1979.jpeg

Thanks TIGHTCHOKE and oldypigeonpopper for your comments.

The duck call I made earlier is working very well and I am happy with how it turned out, pardon the pun.

The crow call is working, but the vee groove has to be opened out wider to give the correct sound, which will take a bit of patience , and trial and error gentle sanding.

I have seen quite a few different wooden crow call types in America, and all have the same reed make up.

I can buy a plastic crow call off the internet for £6, but I wanted to try making a wooden call and learn the process.

These are a few of the different styles I have found whilst searching the reed make up.

IMG_2010.png

IMG_1994.png

IMG_1996.png

IMG_1985.png

IMG_1986.png

On 26/12/2023 at 15:22, Shambam1962 said:

This is my first attempt at a duck call and it wasn’t to difficult to make.

Very pleased with how it sounds.

Used a piece of Mylar for the reed off a stencil my daughter had.

IMG_1952.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

IMG_1953.jpeg

Well done your call looks great . Does the book cover how to tune the calls and how easy was it to tune ? 

Thanks greenshank1 for your comments.

The book doesn’t go into detail, regarding the fine tuning of the call, but YouTube and especially some of the American sites have it down to a fine art, and show in detail how removing a small amount off the reed will give a different sound (tone).

It does give comments and advice off fellow call turners giving their recommendations, how the length of reed and the depth of channel under the reed has an effect on the sound, and how a sound board jig helps to replicate the required sound and just fine tune as required.

When I was searching the sites regarding the sound board jigs I came across a site which had the detailed drawing and measurements which I downloaded and made mine out of a piece of Oak to the measurements specified.

Lots of the jigs I saw for sale were $110 plus shipping.

I didn’t want to spend silly money and make 1 or 2 calls and have the jig sitting on the shelf in the shed for years to come.

The wooden jig works very well and holds the sound board, so it doesn’t move when cutting on the bandsaw and makes sanding easier to fine tune.

I will make an aluminium jig at a later date.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2015.jpeg

IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_2016.jpeg

Cut a few pieces of Ash and Black Walnut yesterday and glued them together, to make a mk2 version of a duck call and a bit nicer looking.

I have ordered Mylar for the reed, but won’t arrive until next week, so unable to test until it arrives.

I found making this call a lot easier as I more or less knew the process of drilling and depth required.

Took before and after photos of the process, and very pleased how it turned out.

IMG_3847.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg

IMG_3850.jpeg

IMG_3852.jpeg

IMG_3854.jpeg

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3860.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3868.jpeg

Had an offcut from the previous duck call, so I made this one today.

Last one for a while, and have purchased 6 acrylic blanks to complete a pen order.

Some really nice coloured pen blanks and a few more Conway Stewart blanks to make up.

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg