Turning Custom Duck & Game Calls

Shambam1962

Thanks oldypigeonpopper, I sorted the crow call out and had it working satisfactorily, by sanding the groove either side of the reed and opening the vee out.

It was a bit tedious because I didn’t want to remove to much wood by sanding and was a case of trial and error .

I saw it in the book and thought I would try to replicate it.

Please see the photo below how much wider the gap is compared to the earlier post.

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2052.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I previously made a hardwood soundboard cutting jig for the duck call inserts, to try out making the duck calls.

I have finally got around to making a steel sound board jig and pleased with the result.

I ordered a block of steel and transferred the measurements from the drawing I had and drilled and cut to shape by hand .

It took a little longer than I anticipated and I found filing the sound board groove the hardest and time consuming.

I finally heat treated it yesterday and hope to use it over the coming weeks, on a few acrylic style calls.

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

On 23/12/2023 at 18:03, Shambam1962 said:

Thank you oldypigeonpopper for your kind words, it’s very much appreciated.

In the book it shows the person using a sound board jig, which will cut multiple reeds to the exact same size.

The jig is aluminium and shaped to the required duck call you require.

You place the drilled dowel into the jig and cut to the shape and add the acrylic reed and stopper to make the finished item.

I’m looking at the moment to see what is available, and lots of information available on American sites.

Mine when completed may sound like a jazz band Gazoo.

IMG_1911.png

IMG_1913.png

That's the all important part. If a call doesn't sound right, it's just a wooden tube.

On 23/12/2023 at 20:47, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I reckon there may well be some rather chunky pens in the New Year.........................

🤣🤣🤣

On 26/12/2023 at 16:21, Shambam1962 said:

The call was made out of a piece of scrap Oak to try out.

This was my learning piece, and didn’t encounter any problems, which is good.

I have just contacted a company to make me a few stainless steel bushes, which will fit on my pen turning mandrel, and will replicate the calls easily, to size.

Just like the technique used for making pens.

I have plenty of Oak offcuts, so it didn’t matter if I made a mistake.

The next ones will be Cocobolo wood, which is not cheap to buy, but supposedly very good for making calls.

TIGHTCHOKE may possibly have some bigger light pulls yet, or maybe a whistling pen !

Who knows  what will happen in the New Year !

For the very best sounding call, the yanks use acrylic, as does the UK's best call maker, Lee at Muddy Gutter Calls.

I greatly admire your skill  and follow all the processes with great interest.

From stickmaking, pen making and now duck calls.

Is there no end to your craftsmanship and determination always to try something different?

Many thanks for posting and keep them coming.

OB

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have posted before, We have some very good talented members on PW, i always like to read and see photos of the PW Craft Section,  

I totally agree OPP and always look forward to new posts as above.

There are also some very generous guys on here too.

Shambam1962 very kindly sent me three laminated crook heads for me to have a go at finishing off as I’ve never tried making a crook head stick before. He even gave full instructions how best to proceed. I am still steadily proceeding, but know full well that I won’t be able to match his exacting standards.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I totally agree OPP and always look forward to new posts as above.  There are also some very generous guys on here too.

Shambam1962 very kindly sent me three laminated crook heads for me to have a go at finishing off as I’ve never tried making a crook head stick before. He even gave full instructions how best to proceed. I am still steadily proceeding, but know full well that I won’t be able to match his exacting standards.

Yes, Kevin is another of the PW Good Guys

Thank you oldypigeonpopper and Old Boggy for your comments.

Old Boggy, I’m glad you’re steadily proceeding with the crook handles and from the photos you’ve posted of your previous sticks, they are finished to a very high standard.

The secret is when you start making the crooks, do a little bit now and then, and when things are not going quite right, put it down and come back to it later.

My first laminated crook I made last year, was almond scrapped after the belt snapped on the power file sander and took a chunk out of the back of the crook.

I was absolutely gutted, and left it in the corner of the shed and walked the dogs.

The following day I returned to the stick and managed to alter the shape by sanding below the missing piece.

I look forward to seeing your 1st crook.

Cheers, Chris.

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2023 at 17:44, Shambam1962 said:

My shooting mate and his wife living in Haverfordwest , called this morning to collect an acrylic pen I had made for her, and gave me an early Christmas present book.

The book Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls is a very interesting and informative book with detailed guides and drawings, showing how to turn custom duck and goose calls.

The techniques used are very similar to the process of making and turning pens on a mandrel.

This book has got me thinking, and wet my appetite to have a go at making a turned wooden duck or goose call, which will not only look nice but most importantly having the correct tuned sound.

I have a couple of walking sticks and acrylic pens to complete first over the next few weeks, but I will definitely attempt having a go at making a turned wooden call in the New Year and will post the progress and photos later on.

You can get more info about the book here.

Have any PW members, tried making turned wooden duck or goose calls, and what problems did you have ?

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

I'm curious, where did you get the book from? I'd love to check it out myself and maybe give duck and goose call making a try in the future!

13 hours ago, Rusuremb said:

I'm curious, where did you get the book from? I'd love to check it out myself and maybe give duck and goose call making a try in the future!

The book was a gift off my shooting mate.

You can buy the book from Amazon or EBay.