Purdey 18.7 re-bored barrels from 1998

JR111

30 minutes ago, JR111 said:

I believe that W Evans had a great working relation with Webley. I believe ( might be wrong) that they could make any model of W Evans shotgun to their desired quality. The guns would be marked as William Evans on the action and ribs. 

Supposedly Webley at one time owned Joseph Lang (Henry Webley bought them in the 1900s) and some Lang guns were, indeed, Webley guns names, as said, with Lang on the action and rib.

HOLTS SEALED BID SALE - JUNE 2015 : SALE S0715 LOT 3820

1825 - 2003 - JOSEPH LANG/& SON/LTD - HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS CONCERNING THIS FAMOUS GUNMAKING FIRM,

h) 1917 - Photocopy of Debenture share certificate for £100 issued by Henry Webley in 1917 at 4% interest rate and repayable on 23 December 1923.
i) 14 November 1924 Notice of an Extraordinary General Meeting of shareholders regarding the disposal of the business of Joseph Lang & Co Ltd, after the death of Henry Webley, the chairman on 30 October 1920. 

Edited by enfieldspares

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a period after 1985 W & C Scott were owned by Holland and Holland.

But MUCH earlier W & C Scott made many 'famous names'.  See article here

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/appreciating-birmingham-s-big-boys

Smaller firms like A.A Brown and many others also made for big 'names' as well as those bearing their own names.

Some early guns (typically pre WW1) have (for example) the barrel makers initials stamped on the barrels.  If I remember rightly, my Henry Atkin has barrels by 'HS' who is Henry Squires.

Edited by JohnfromUK

37 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Smaller firms like A.A Brown and many others also made for big 'names' as well as those bearing their own names.

A Brown guns made for others will, some, but not always, be marked ABAS indeed! Also the now defunct (I think) firm Leonard, marked L & S for Leonard & Son, made double rifles for some of the named makers. Regarding Webley in WWI some at Webley were known as "double starred men" that is their work so absolutely essential to the war effort that they must never de drafted.

Edited by enfieldspares

Holloway made some lovely guns for other makers. You can tell if it had an H followed by around 5 numbers stamped on the small rib/butt piece. For instance H12345. My son showed me a Hardy Bros in the Holts catalogue online going for no money as the ribs were loose. I spotted the H number and told him to buy it and I'd sort the ribs for him. Bargain at £150,00 Beautiful file up on the action. I also had a Dickson BLE made by Holloway. Beautiful gun but I sold it. (Can't keep all of them if you want to stay in business!)  Naturally Holloway were great gunmakers in their own right.

Also Joseph Asbury was the "gunmakers gunmaker" He made a lot of box lock guns for gunmakers. The tell tale sign of a Joseph Asbury made gun is you will find the initials JA stamped on the barrels in front of the flats. I still see lots in circulation today.