To magnet or not to magnet? That is the question.

kitchrat

50 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

People have raised a variety of points. Believe me, I have tried most of them! Fewer decs, the different types sometimes in different areas so as not to mix them, sometimes mixed, usually no silly socks unless windy, no magnet, flapper, over-sized shell decs, floaters, the results are usually very similar.

Silly socks look silly when it's not windy.

I don't think they were seeing me, even rooks and crows were drifting right overhead.

I'm surprised to see respected shooters like JDog say "I always use a rotary on rape, standing corn and bean stubble and never on drillings.", using words like always and never. I think in pigeon shooting there are NO hard and fast rules, except "there are no rules"!

Finally, the road is/was no problem, the pigeons liked that side of the field because of some nice trees at hang out in and a little valley they like to drift along. The crop is quite damaged just there. Of course, once I shoot a few times, the other side of the field looks greener, as usual with winter rape. Then, once a few dozen get settled, it soon becomes 100. Shots don't always keep them off. Then the farmer says "you're in the wrong place"!!

I think you've answered your questions yourself most days it trial and error. 

You could try banger strings if tour farmer can get them. 

Also I'd forget the idea of setting up nxt to the road regardless busy or not, one phone call and you'd have a hard time explaining your action where ever it is  should armed response arrive. 

Just keep trying. 

No one have mentioned the various light conditions we get in the Winter months , these can range from clear bright days to days when there seem to be very little light , when you place your decoys on a rape crop that have had very little damage on a dull day you can often have a job to see your decoys from the hide you are sitting in so although the Pigeons you are trying to decoy have this so called remarkable eyesight they still need to be pretty close to your decoys before they can see them , before the magnet craze I found using a dozen dead birds showing well above the rape on cradles with maybe a couple of floaters each end worked a treat , this would mainly be in a static bale hide normally in the middle of the field , around our way a 70 / 100 acre is a very large field and the majority I shoot on would be in 50 acre range , would this same set up work nowadays ? , I believe it would and using a magnet on fresh rape would certainly be a bonus and if they had been out at the time we would had used one if our pockets at the time were deep enough .

Now we are in a vastly different world with a lot more rape grown , rarely see bale hides in the fields , less countryside and the general public having more and more access to what countryside we have got left .     MM

18 hours ago, kitchrat said:

Yes, I've thought about less but am always up against flocks of 100+ real birds pulling newcomers in, so feel more is better. Of course real birds are better but usually I have to carry across muddy fields. Also, I like to get my victims into the food chain ASAP.

Yes, that's a road!

sounds like you have two problems, 1, you are in the right place and the birds are coming to have a look at your decoys but turning away at the last minute, if you only have dead birds out and they are still doing it then I can only think they are seeing you.

2, birds playing follow the leader, when this happens you could put out 100 decoys where you have setup and I doubt you would pull them away from their mates heading to another field, especially if its large blocks of rape, time to go home and work out a cunning plan.:yes:

is it a private road?

4 hours ago, mellors said:

I think you've answered your questions yourself most days it trial and error. 

You could try banger strings if tour farmer can get them. 

Also I'd forget the idea of setting up nxt to the road regardless busy or not, one phone call and you'd have a hard time explaining your action where ever it is  should armed response arrive. 

Just keep trying. 

Rope bangers are like the gas guns they all use, pigeons know the difference and they have limited effect. All jump off into nearby trees, then flood back down 15 mins later.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

sounds like you have two problems, 1, you are in the right place and the birds are coming to have a look at your decoys but turning away at the last minute, if you only have dead birds out and they are still doing it then I can only think they are seeing you.

2, birds playing follow the leader, when this happens you could put out 100 decoys where you have setup and I doubt you would pull them away from their mates heading to another field, especially if its large blocks of rape, time to go home and work out a cunning plan.:yes:

is it a private road?

I fully agree with your point 2, they just "flock-string" wherever they know is safe. As to point 1, over the 3 fields of osr, there are about 4 "favourite" places. Once you set up on one of them and shoot at something, the other three locations become more popular, despite the fact that there is a gas gun up the other end.

The crows and rook weren't seeing me. The pigeons just want to see a load of their mates there already. If the location is empty of pigeons, they go and sit a tree to watch and watch and watch. Eventually, one comes for a look. If you shoot him, they all go. If you don't, he swoops over the decoys and usually doesn't like what he sees for some reason. Watching from a distance, they NEVER drop straight onto a crop, unless there are loads there already. It's sit in the trees etc etc until one braves it, then they all flood down too.

As to the road, no, it's a public road, not very busy but quite fast, so vehicles are gone in a flash, It is a very rural area so hopefully, no antis to cause trouble, but I take your point. I was there because the pigeons appeared to want to be there. (until I fired a shot). All perfectly legal but we are at risk from antis wherever you go. Recently, I was on the edge of a field, no footpath within half a mile and a bloke turns up. I point out that I am pigeon shooting and ask if he thinks he is on a footpath. "No idea" is his reply, "but I've walked this way for 9 years" . I point out that it doesn't make it a footpath and get the reply "So what are you going to do about it?". Of course I say "Nothing, enjoy your walk" and he stalks off. Joe Public....

13 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Rope bangers are like the gas guns they all use, pigeons know the difference and they have limited effect. All jump off into nearby trees, then flood back down 15 mins later.

Well everything has been mentioned now that's rape shooting. 

Its always a challenge but that's why we do it the day it goes well you forget the bad ones. 

It's been rubbish round here this year plenty of pigeons but no real interest there not really hungry its so mild and most of them are full of ivy berries when picked. 

Frustrating i know but at least you've got somewhere a lot haven't. 

41 minutes ago, mellors said:

Well everything has been mentioned now that's rape shooting. 

Its always a challenge but that's why we do it the day it goes well you forget the bad ones. 

It's been rubbish round here this year plenty of pigeons but no real interest there not really hungry its so mild and most of them are full of ivy berries when picked. 

Frustrating i know but at least you've got somewhere a lot haven't. 

Yes, that's rape shooting. Trouble is, I'm getting the same problem on some very popular (until I turn up!) freshly drilled bean fields. A couple of days until they have found it and cot comfortable, I turn up and it's the same story Not that bothered "Thanks but no thanks", no panic or flaring away, half chances only for a while, then that dries up too. Frustrating or what!!

55 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Yes, that's rape shooting. Trouble is, I'm getting the same problem on some very popular (until I turn up!) freshly drilled bean fields. A couple of days until they have found it and cot comfortable, I turn up and it's the same story Not that bothered "Thanks but no thanks", no panic or flaring away, half chances only for a while, then that dries up too. Frustrating or what!!

Could well be Essex birds , you know the rumours that are attached to birds from Essex , unlike the more obliging ones from the flatlands .:lol:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Could well be Essex birds , you know the rumours that are attached to birds from Essex , unlike the more obliging ones from the flatlands .:lol:

Ha Ha, very good!! I thought Essex birds were supposed to be easy?